Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Martin Zak <ma...@gingerall.com> on 2006/06/16 11:50:29 UTC

absolutely positioned block-container issue

Hi all,
I'm using the absolutely positioned block-container for a side-note.
The page body has left margin defined while block-container has
start-indent set to 0pt.
(so the block-container is rendered in a "column" left to the rest of
the text on page like this:

               Page Heading

[side-note]    page text sample page text sample page text
               sample page text
               and more page text more page text

It works nice, until following situation occurs:
the block following the absolutely positioned block-container has
space-before property defined.
Then this property applies and the (second) block is shifted down from
the block-container.
When I remove the block-container, this property doesn't apply any more...

It seems the absolutely positioned block-container affects the layout in
normal text flow.

Is it a bug or I just miss something in layout rules?
I would be happy for any help as my big project is stuck due to this
issue :(
Thanks
Martin Zak
====
fop 0.92beta
--
code snippet:

<fo:flow font-family="Times" font-size="12pt"
flow-name="xsl-region-body" margin-left="1.37in">

    <fo:block-container margin="0pt" padding="0pt" width="30pt"
start-indent="0pt" absolute-position="absolute">
        <fo:block>[abs]</fo:block>
    </fo:block-container>

    <fo:block space-before="9pt">lorem ipsum dolores...</fo:block>

</fo:flow>

---
attachments:
absolute-position_no-container.pdf
absolute-position_with-container.pdf
absolute-position.fo

---

--
Martin Zak
project manager, developer

Ginger Alliance, s.r.o.
Otakarova 15
140 00 Prague
Czech Republic

Office: tel +420  241 741 406
      : fax +420  241 740 398
YM ID : zakmart
Email : martin.zak@gingerall.com

http://www.gingerall.com
http://www.ga-mme.com

Re: absolutely positioned block-container issue

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
It's probably not that difficult to fix. I'd probably start in
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.SpaceResolver.resolveElementList() and see if
it's enough to add a special handling for KnuthBox instances that have a
length of zero, i.e. skip over them instead of letting them stop the
loop. Good luck!

On 20.07.2006 16:23:18 Martin Zak wrote:
> I just would like to remind this issue - I created the bug report under
> #39968.
> Would it be difficult to fix it?
> It would be great to have it soon (otherwise you will
> loose one FOP user as my client will chop my head off :|  ).
> Thanks & cheers
> Martin Zak
>

> Chris Bowditch wrote:
> > Martin Zak wrote:
> >
> >> ... I evaluated the conditional spacing, but when I retain the
> >> space-before, the blocks will have the spacing which doesn't match
> >> the strict client requirements.
> >> (e.g. title has a 9pt space-after and following block 6pt
> >> space-before, which would - of course - lead us to 15pt of total
> >> space between, which is bad. I can't simply remove the space-before
> >> (or after), as the document structure is so complex it would lead to
> >> wrong results in certain combination of blocks)
> >> :(
> >> It seems I'll have to wait for your fix...
> >
> > So this bug isn't forgotten can you raise a bug report in Bugzilla
> > please? Following the link below to do it:
> >
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/bugs.html
> >

> > <snip/>
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: absolutely positioned block-container issue

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Martin Zak wrote:

> I just would like to remind this issue - I created the bug report under
> #39968.
> Would it be difficult to fix it?
> It would be great to have it soon (otherwise you will
> loose one FOP user as my client will chop my head off :|  ).

Well, if this issue is important to you, why not fix it yourself? This
is open source after all :)

<snip/>

Chris

Re: absolutely positioned block-container issue

Posted by Martin Zak <ma...@gingerall.com>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Zak <ma...@gingerall.com>.
... I evaluated the conditional spacing, but when I retain the
space-before, the blocks will have the spacing which doesn't match the
strict client requirements.
(e.g. title has a 9pt space-after and following block 6pt space-before,
which would - of course - lead us to 15pt of total space between, which
is bad. I can't simply remove the space-before (or after), as the
document structure is so complex it would lead to wrong results in
certain combination of blocks)
:(
It seems I'll have to wait for your fix...
Cheers
Martin

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Not sure if it'll fit into this week. I'm leaving for Ireland on
Thursday and won't have much time for hacking until 2006-07-08.

But did you look at Chris' suggestion about conditional spacing? Doesn't
that help you for the moment?

On 19.06.2006 18:12:21 Martin Zak wrote:
> ...thanks Jeremias,
> I thought the reason to be like that.
> But there is a question (as always :) )
> - would you care to fix it ? (with respect to importance you assigned to
> it mentally)
> In case it would not be so big change, when do you expect it?
>
> [just to provide some background of this issue:
> I render the book without side-notes in 'normal' mode
> and with side-notes in 'review' mode (where side-notes contain
> the link for editing paras.
> Obviously it is VERY bad these two pages doesn't look the same.
> I was trying to find some workaround, but no luck till now.
> I'm stuck with big project :(( ]
>
> anyway, thanks for the amazing work!
> Martin
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> >> <snip/>

> >> Whats happening here is the rules of conditional spacing. If a space is
> >> the first in the reference area (fo:flow in your example) then the
> >> default is to discard the space. If the space is not the first thing in
> >> a reference area then its is retained. It seems the block-container
> >> fools FOP into thinking that there is something before the space in the
> >> reference area and it is therefore retained.
> >>

> > Indeed, the BlockContainerLayoutManager creates a KnuthBox (w=0) in the
> > element list for the absolutely positioned block-container which is
> > currently interpreted by the SpaceResolver as a fence. And a fence makes
> > the SpaceResolver believe that there's content before the space. Looks
> > like we should find a solution to indicate to the SpaceResolver which
> > boxes are no fences. Another example would be the often-used empty block
> > at the end of the flow for "page x of y" which probably creates a fence,
> > too.
> >

> >> Without knowing the full context of your application I'm not sure of a
> >> wrokaround. Specifying space-before.conditionality="retain" will ensure
> >> the space is always shown, regardless of whether there is a block
> >> container or not.
> >>
> >> <snip/>
> >>
> >> Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: absolutely positioned block-container issue

Posted by Martin Zak <ma...@gingerall.com>.
...thanks Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 16.06.2006 15:07:25 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Martin Zak wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm using the absolutely positioned block-container for a side-note.
> > The page body has left margin defined while block-container has
> > start-indent set to 0pt.
> > (so the block-container is rendered in a "column" left to the rest of
> > the text on page like this:
> >

> <snip/>
>
> >   <fo:page-sequence format="1" master-reference="sequence-chapter">
> >     <fo:flow font-family="Times" font-size="12pt" flow-name="xsl-region-body" margin-left="1.37in">
> >
> >       <fo:block-container margin="0pt" padding="0pt" width="30pt" start-indent="0pt" absolute-position="absolute">
> >         <fo:block>[abs]</fo:block>
> >       </fo:block-container>
> >
> >       <fo:block space-before="9pt">lorem ipsum dolores...</fo:block>
>
> Whats happening here is the rules of conditional spacing. If a space is
> the first in the reference area (fo:flow in your example) then the
> default is to discard the space. If the space is not the first thing in
> a reference area then its is retained. It seems the block-container
> fools FOP into thinking that there is something before the space in the
> reference area and it is therefore retained.

Indeed, the BlockContainerLayoutManager creates a KnuthBox (w=0) in the
element list for the absolutely positioned block-container which is
currently interpreted by the SpaceResolver as a fence. And a fence makes
the SpaceResolver believe that there's content before the space. Looks
like we should find a solution to indicate to the SpaceResolver which
boxes are no fences. Another example would be the often-used empty block
at the end of the flow for "page x of y" which probably creates a fence,
too.

> Without knowing the full context of your application I'm not sure of a
> wrokaround. Specifying space-before.conditionality="retain" will ensure
> the space is always shown, regardless of whether there is a block
> container or not.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: border-collapse="collapse"

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Aug 18, 2006, at 07:20, Debasish Jana wrote:

Hi,

> Thanks, Chris.
> Is there any workaround to solve the problem? One solution could be to
> distribute the border-width parameters in adjacent cells, where
> adjacency is
> with column margin or row margin? Any other workaround?

The trick is to use only half the border-width for each cell, and
once on the table as well for the outer edges.

For example, if you need a 1pt border for all cells, something like
this would suffice:

<fo:table border-collapse="separate"
           border="solid 0.5pt black">
   <fo:table-body>
     <fo:table-row>
       <fo:table-cell border="solid 0.5pt black">

Take care of the border-shorthand above. If the content of the table
or of one cell can be broken over multiple pages, you'll need
something like:

<fo:table border-collapse="separate"
           border-style="solid" border-color="black"
           border-before-width.length="0.5pt"
           border-before-width.conditionality="retain"
           border-after-width.length="0.5pt"
           border-after-width.conditionality="retain"
           border-start-width.length="0.5pt"
           border-and-width.length="0.5pt">
   <fo:table-body>
     <fo:table-row>
       <fo:table-cell border-style="solid" border-color="black"
           border-before-width.length="0.5pt"
           border-before-width.conditionality="retain"
           border-after-width.length="0.5pt"
           border-after-width.conditionality="retain"
           border-start-width.length="0.5pt"
           border-and-width.length="0.5pt">

HTH!

Cheers,

Andreas

RE: border-collapse="collapse"

Posted by Debasish Jana <de...@anshinsoft.com>.
Thanks, Chris.
Is there any workaround to solve the problem? One solution could be to
distribute the border-width parameters in adjacent cells, where adjacency is
with column margin or row margin? Any other workaround?

Regards,

Debasish

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

border-collapse="collapse"