Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/11 15:18:44 UTC

GSoC 2012 Project

Hi Guys,

I thought best to keep this conversation on this thread but to rename it.
Renatoj and myself are going to put in a submission for a GSoC project
which seeks to achieve the following:

Provide a gora-amazondynamodb (shorter name suggestions please :0)) module
for Gora. Chris provided a link to the ASL'ed Amazon SDK, in addition it
would utilize Apache Whirr for spinning up the Amazon cloud instance.
Although we are in early days here, I am keen to push ahead with expanding
the scope here to provide more details on implementation, however it would
be great if you guys could chip so we get a better idea of where to take
this project. I think this is really interesting and has potential to
really go somewhere so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for now

Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Nice one Chris.

Same here so we'll pick this up when the new week comes around.

Have a great weekend.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Lewis,

Sounds great. I registered as a mentor and am eligible to help out!

Cheers,
Chris

On Mar 17, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Ok Guys,
>
> Anyone in the GSoC loop just now would have received the relevant
> information confirming the the ASF have been accepted into GSoC again this
> year [0]. This means that there is a great chance if we ensure a good
> submission then the gora-dynamodb module is a step closer.
>
> Having had a look at the announcement and timetable [1], between now and
> April the 6th we should be discussing the application idea at length with
> Renato, and also at some stage along the line actually formally receive an
> application from Renato (or of course anyone else wishing to apply for the
> project). I am in weekly contact with him just now and he is monitoring
> Gora lists so is well aware of where we are as project, what needs to be
> done etc.
>
> As before I think this thread, along with the issue on our Jira, should be
> the hub for correspondence.
>
> Thanks for now
>
> Lewis
>
> [0] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2012
> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
> lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> OK I've added some content to the wiki page and would really appreciate if
>> it could be looked over and substantiated whereever you guys see fit.
>>
>> I've also created a page
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GORA/GSoC+2012+Ideas+Page
>>
>> Which will be the actual page for the project description and scope.
>>
>> We have a week to get this done so maybe better sooner rather than later
>> :0)
>>
>> Thanks for now
>>
>> Lewis

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Ok Guys,

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

OK I've added some content to the wiki page and would really appreciate if
it could be looked over and substantiated whereever you guys see fit.

I've also created a page

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GORA/GSoC+2012+Ideas+Page

Which will be the actual page for the project description and scope.

We have a week to get this done so maybe better sooner rather than later :0)

Thanks for now

Lewis

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <

--
*Lewis*

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Quickly spun up a wiki page

--
*Lewis*

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Good Morning Everyone,

--
*Lewis*

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

--
*Lewis*

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Re: GSoC 2012 Project

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Lewis,

This sounds awesome! I will try my best to help review patches/etc.,
and to comment on the design.

Super +1.

Cheers,
Chris

On Feb 11, 2012, at 6:18 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I thought best to keep this conversation on this thread but to rename it.
> Renatoj and myself are going to put in a submission for a GSoC project
> which seeks to achieve the following:
>
> Provide a gora-amazondynamodb (shorter name suggestions please :0)) module
> for Gora. Chris provided a link to the ASL'ed Amazon SDK, in addition it
> would utilize Apache Whirr for spinning up the Amazon cloud instance.
> Although we are in early days here, I am keen to push ahead with expanding
> the scope here to provide more details on implementation, however it would
> be great if you guys could chip so we get a better idea of where to take
> this project. I think this is really interesting and has potential to
> really go somewhere so your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for now
>
> Lewis
>

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Cool and looks like its ASF 2.0 license too =)
>>
>> - Henry
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
>> <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>> Hey Lewis,
>>>
>>> That sounds like a fantastic idea!
>>>
>>> See here: https://github.com/amazonwebservices/aws-sdk-for-java/
>>>
>>> Looks like it's ALv2 licensed as well...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris

>> the

>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>>> Senior Computer Scientist
>>> NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
>>> Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
>>> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
>>> WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
>>> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
>>> University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
>>>

> --
> *Lewis*

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist