Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/08/12 23:28:45 UTC

[lang] Geronimo: New commons fodder

Just took a look at the source for geronimo [apache j2ee thingy]. Yet
another String library etc etc :)

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator-geronimo/modules/common/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/common/

So.... a source of input to lang methinks. And a nice document to the Geri
chaps to let them know that all their stuff is in Lang.

Summary so far:

CloneableObject				i like
NullArgumentException 			we've talked about this
UnreachableStatementException		not convinced
Strings					yet-another-StringUtils
  EMPTY = ""
  NEWLINE = LINE_SEPARATOR
  A series of subst() methods. Akin to replace but with some odd variants.
  Range inner class. Basically just IntRange. Used in an odd rangeOf method.
  split, join, count, pad, compare, isEmpty, capitalize, trim(String[])
  nthIndexOf  [pretty sure we have this]
  toURL [booo]
  makeURLFromFileSpec [booo]

and then in a sub-package platform:

Constants  [SystemUtils basically]

Hen

Re: [lang] Geronimo: New commons fodder

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
UnreachableStatementException - I like this (as the alternative is to use
InternalError, which is less descriptive). I think UnreachableCodeException
may be a better name however. lang 2.0 if possible.

CloneableObject - yes this is on the lang TODO (well something like this) -
lang 2.1.

String methods - case by case - lang 2.1

Java version detection - works differently (maybe better) Question is why
did they do it their way?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
This is new code to Apache rather than a fork of code.

I don't care if they're using Lang or not, but if they have nice re-usable
methods that we don't have yet, I want to duplicate them :) That's the
Commons charter.

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@mwm.lt>.