Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by uk1host <Da...@Damb-Tech.co.uk> on 2008/03/07 13:09:29 UTC

Domain Name SPAM

I am getting alot of spam from domains which are:

Name.de
Name.ch

And alot for diffrent tablets.

Is there any way this can be filter. I am new to this as my server was setup
for me and it is running Smartermail. We want ot get some of the spam down
before we place a large amount of customers onto the service.

cheers

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 16:14, Rob McEwen wrote:

> It looks to me like you have some kind of DNS malfunction...or
> SmarterMail malfunction.

If you think this may be the case, try using Ethereal/Wireshark while
you run a piece of known spam through a freshly started copy of SA. This
will give a positive indication of whether it is querying the blacklists
etc. If you're running a DNS or name caching server restart that too so
its caches are empty before you run the test.

Martin

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
Dave,

I don't think that you can score Zen too high. I'd bump Zen up to the
highest score and see what happens. If a legit e-mail were to get
blocked by Zen, you'd be able to tell your mail hosting client that the
sender is listed on such a world-famous and reliable blacklist that this
incoming message would also have been blocked by 95+% of all spam
filters in the world.

I'd also bump up the score for SpamCop... perhaps also to the maximum.

(BTW - Because I do so much research. and run a DNSBL, I don't
personally score any list that high... but my situation is vastly
different... which is why I don't use my own advice here.)

Also, you mentioned a concern about how this would effect your own users...

I don't see how blocking more spam via increased points for SpamCop and
Zen could possibly effect your user's ability to use your services.

Of course, be sure that...

(1) these DNSBLs should ONLY be testing against the sending IP of each
incoming message... NOT every IP found in the header. As long as you are
checking against the Sender's IP, then you should be OK.

(2) You should also NOT be checking the sending IPs of
SMTP-authenticated e-mail... that being e-mail sent by your own users.

Follow those two guidelines and you should be OK.

If you move SpamCop and Zen to the max scores, but STILL see spam listed
on Zen and SpamCop, then you'll at least know that you have some sort of
malfunction (perhaps DNS related?) that pushing a button or lever on
your Spam Filter's control panel alone probably won't fix.

If that is the case, you should probably seek help from one of the
following: Your hosting provider (if not you), the company that makes
SmarterMail, or some kind of discussion forum specifically about
SmarterMail.

It looks to me like you have some kind of DNS malfunction...or
SmarterMail malfunction.

Rob McEwen
rob@invaluement.com

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
John Hardin wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend doing that for *all* the RBLS, just Zen, and if
> you're going to make Zen a poison pill, then just put it into the MTA's
> DNSBL list and spare SA the load.

John,

Good suggestion... except that I don't think that Dave is using SA. He
said he uses SmarterMail. If I'm correct, then this whole thread would
have been more appropriate for SPAM-L and really didn't belong on the SA
list in the first place... though parts of this discussion would be
helpful to SA users. (I think that SmarterMail is both the MTA and the
spam filter all together in one package).

Rob McEwen

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 09:22 -0800, uk1host wrote:

> uk1host wrote:
> >

> > I have moved the weight of the RBLs including Spamcop and Zen to 30.
> >
> > Hopefully this will cut it back although at the moment I am still getting
> > mail through.

I wouldn't recommend doing that for *all* the RBLS, just Zen, and if
you're going to make Zen a poison pill, then just put it into the MTA's
DNSBL list and spare SA the load.

> > MAIL 1
> > mail.uk1host.co.uk with SMTP;

{mass snippage}

PLEASE prune your replies to the relevant text. Thanks.

  Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute
  an emergency on my part.                 -- David W. Barts in a.s.r
 Tomorrow: Daylight Saving Time begins in U.S. - Spring Forward

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by uk1host <Da...@Damb-Tech.co.uk>.

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
uk1host (Dave) wrote:
> (1)

> [190.70.170.132] by mail.uk1host.co.uk with SMTP;
>    Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:59:14 -060
190.70.170.132 is currently listed on CBL, SpamCop, and ivmSIP. (XBL and
ZEN would also have this via the CBL listing)

ivmSIP listed this on Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:19 AM (eastern)
CBL listed this 2008-03-08 13:00 GMT
SpamCop says "listed for 2.8 days" (from before I check this a few
minutes ago)

I think that CBL/XBL/ZEN *might* have listed this right at the time that
you received this... or just after... but I could be miscalculating
either way by an hour. But that doesn't matter... both SpamCop and
ivmSIP listed this long before you received it.
> (2)

> ] by
> mail.uk1host.co.uk with SMTP;
>    Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:36:19 -060
This one should have easily been blocked by PBL, which is a part of Zen.
So ZEN should have blocked this.

> (3)

> ] by
> mail.uk1host.co.uk with SMTP;
>    Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:58:24 -060
This one is currently listed on PBL and CBL and SpamCop. PBL and CBL
both will cause this to be on XBL and ZEN as well. I'm confused by
SpamCop's description of when this was listed by SpamCop. CBL said that
it was listed about 3 hours ago... but, regardless, PBL would have
already had this in Zen long before you received the message. So ZEN
should have easily been enough without anything else.

CONCLUSION:

ALL three of these spams would have been caught with proper use of just
ZEN and SpamCop, assuming that those two lists are implemented correctly
and are scored such that either one alone scores high enough in your
system to outright block an incoming spam.

Rob McEwen
rob@invaluement.com

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by uk1host <Da...@Damb-Tech.co.uk>.

uk1host wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> SURBL and URIBL are generally free. URIBL is starting to requiring a
>>> paid subscription to RSYNC access for organizations with large volumes
>>> of queries. Also, ivmURI is subscription-only (again, contact me
>>> off-list for more info). BTW - check out
>>> http://invaluement.com/results.txt
>>>
>>> SURBL can be queried with "multi.surbl.org"
>>>
>>> URIBL can be queried with "multi.uribl.com"
>>>
>>> ivmURI requires a subscription to get the data via RSYNC
>>>
>>> Hope this helps!
>>>
>>> BTW - a good place for looking at catch rates and FPs for the various
>>> Sender's IP blacklists is Al Iverson's web site:
>>>
>>> http://www.dnsbl.com/
>>>
>>> But ivmSIP isn't listed there because Al Iverson hates me. :(
>>>
>>> (a) I bugged Al one too many times last summer when Al had found a
>>> single FP on my ivmSIP and wouldn't tell me what it was. I didn't mind
>>> that he wouldn't tell me... but I'd e-mail him about once a week to ask
>>> him if it was still there and, apparently, this eventually angered him.
>>> (b) I tried to explain to Al that ivmSIP is suppose to have a catch rate
>>> of only about 20% (at that time, it is higher now)... but that it was
>>> still far superior to other lists that have a much higher catch rate
>>> since ivmSIP had an overall 1st tier FP rate and ivmSIP catches spams
>>> that other 1st tier lists miss. IOW, suppose that ivmSIP had a catch
>>> rate of 80%, but was ONLY listing stuff that Zen *already* caught. What
>>> good would a list like that be? Such a hypothetical list would superior
>>> to ivmSIP according to Al's and his ratings ratings, but would be
>>> absolute worthless in the real world! But since ivmSIP catches MANY
>>> spams that all other 1st tier lists above miss... it is, instead,
>>> extremely valuable and useful. After repeated attempts, Al NEVER even
>>> acknowledged this logic and eventually told me to.... well... nevermind.
>>> I guess he hates me... but he does a jam up job with his web site... He
>>> is a true expert in this field and gives very good advice. His web sites
>>> are chalk full of excellent analysis and review. Highly recommended!
>>> (Though his site would do better if he factored in "unique" catches
>>> among the 1st tier extreme-low-FP lists.)
>>>
>>> Rob McEwen
>>> rob@invaluement.com

>> Thanks Rob,
>>
>> I am hoping it will cut down on the spam I am getting. I had a auto
>> response on my mail (which I have now removed) and I was getting 300+
>> spam over night.
>>
>> I have put the info into the RBL list on my mail so I am hoping it will
>> cut it down.
>>
>> I have marked it to enable for filtering and enable for incoming blocking
>> is this correct?
>>
>> cheers
>> DAVE (uk1host)

> I have added all the stuff above and am still getting alot of spam,
> medication, degree's and stop being floppy in the bedroom.
>
> Anyone got any other idea's to help cut back on this.

I have posted some of the spam (HEADERS) I am still getting below.
(1)

From: "Chad Mason" <dw...@stllaborers.com>
To: <da...@damb-tech.com>
Subject: [SPAM] SPAM-HIGH:  Purchase popular impotency treatment drugs in
Canada for the best Net prices.
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2008 09:55:54 -0500

(2)

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:18:10 -0400
From: "Milagros Ramey" <extrema@regiomontano.com >
To: dave@damb-tech.com
Subject: [SPAM] SPAM-HIGH:  di$c0unt meds shipping world wide!

(3)

From: "Theodore Ferguson" <Ja...@savetheinternet.com>
To: <da...@dambtech.co.uk>
Subject: SPAM-HIGH:  Hey, start seeing dollars pouring in.

Re: Domain Name SPAM

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
uk1host wrote:
>> I have moved the weight of the RBLs including Spamcop and Zen to 30.
>>
>> Hopefully this will cut it back although at the moment I am still getting
>> mail through.

Dave,

SpamCop and Zen won't block all the spam... but, along the lines of what
I said previously, if this adjustment in scores doesn't cause a dramatic
improvement from what you've have been describing, then the problem
isn't with these blacklists. The problem would then be that something in
your configuration and/or spam software and/or mail server and/or DNS
server is just plain broken.

Is this a shared hosting account, or do you control the whole server?

What I'm getting at is... do you have "remote desktop" (or equivalent)
access to the server?

What platform? (windows? unix?)

If "yes", then I suggest first figuring out what DNS server your
SmarterMail program is using and then see if direct queries to the
looksups I've already verified as listed really do work. That would be a
good place to start.

(when doing lookups, reverse the IP)

for example, 127.0.0.1 would be:

1.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net
and
1.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org

(replace with those IPs you gave as examples... and depending on which
list I said that an IP was listed on)

Also, look in SmarterMail to see if there is a place where you can
specify the DNS server.

Rob McEwen
rob@invaluement.com

Re: Domain Name SPAM