Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Arnold Bronley <ar...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/30 20:53:03 UTC

Solr 7.7.2 vs Solr 8.2.0

Hi,

We are trying to decide whether we should upgrade to Solr 7.7.2 version or
Solr 8.2.0 version. We are currently on Solr 6.3.0 version.

On one hand 8.2.0 version feels like a good choice because it is the latest
version. But then experience tells that initial versions usually have lot
of bugs compared to the later LTS versions.

Also, there is one more issue. There is this major JIRA bug
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13336 which mostly won't get
fixed in any 7.x version, but is fixed in Solr 8.1. I checked and our Solr
configuration is vulnerable to it. Do you have any recommendation as to
which Solr version one should move to given these facts?

Re: Solr 7.7.2 vs Solr 8.2.0

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Do be aware that if you are using indexes created with 6x you will be required to completely re-index when you upgrade to Solr 8. IndexupgraderTool doesn’t help with this, i.e. you _cannot_ go from 6x->7x with 7x's IndexupGraderTool then go from 7x->8x.

Best,
Erick

Re: Solr 7.7.2 vs Solr 8.2.0

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.