Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Lucas Galfaso <lg...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/30 02:46:12 UTC

Just an opinion

Hi everybody,
  In a mail about a week ago I asked everybody what they would like to
fix/improve about Tomcat. Only two of the issues I listed people
thought they were interested, this are:
  . Get to a close to zero number of bugs.
  . Improve the admin console.

  So I checked every single bug that is open in the Tomcat 6 bugzilla
and I think we are in better shape that what I initially thought.
About 1/3 of the open bugs have a proposed patch (some of these bugs
patches are in the soon-to-be-released 6.0.15 tag), about 1/2 are
requests for small enhancements and the rest are real bugs (most of
them somehow small bugs) or things that are not within the standard
but the proposed behavior is somehow reasonable. I am still working on
a few bugs that I think are real bug that we should address, and while
working on the code, I find two things on the code that somehow I did
not like.
  The first one is something that every and then there is a user that
writes about it in the user mailing list, and is related to how Tomcat
handles the compilation of .tag(x) files and how this is unbearably
slow. The second one is on how Tomcat addressed .jsps and .tagx files.
  With this in mind, I would like to start working on these two
issues, but would like to know your opinion. These might be "Great, I
think that these are things that we should take care about", "There is
no way we would allow such a refactoring", "As long as I do not have
to work on it, I have no issue" or "Just do not waste your time,
everybody here thinks that what we are doing is the best" :-p
  If these proposals are not flamed, then I would like to know who is
also interested in working on improving these parts of Tomcat.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post,
  lg

Re: Just an opinion

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
After the 6.0.15 tag - I was hoping on looking at all the bugs with
patches marked and (if valid) add them to the status (after first
testing them). (Not sure how fast I can do that - I'll be picking the
"easy" bugs first)

I'm sure there is great interest in speeding up the jsp compiling when
tag files are included. I have done a tiny bit of research on this to
see why it was happening - but realized thescope of change to make was
beyond my time available. If someone else tackles it and does a good
writeup (patch and performance numbers) - I'll take a look at it.

-Tim

Re: Just an opinion

Posted by Lucas Galfaso <lg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Just work on what you feel like doing.  Scratch your itch.  Have fun.
> Don't wait.  Send in good patches with accompanying test cases, if
> applicable.  Your help is welcome in any and all areas.
>
> Any action as above is a way better use of your time than waiting for
> some sort of theoretical email discussion to take place.

Actually, what I wanted to know is if anybody is already working on
any of these item, so I do not step on others people toes. I will
start working on these, and when it is ready I will post it here. I do
not want to get into endless discussions about what is best, if you
think this was the case, I am sorry, that was not the intention.

Regards,
  lg

Re: Just an opinion

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.