Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Graham Anderson <gr...@siren.cc> on 2006/09/12 00:15:03 UTC

subversion and mysql synchronizing

I would like to use subversion to synchronize local, development, and
live mysql databases.

These databases are serving a web site that is already under
subversion's control.

As subversion is working wonderfully on my local,live, and
development web sites, how can I include mysql into the mix?
Is this accomplished with a hook script?

Is this possible or desired? Is anyone doing this?

many thanks

Re: subversion and mysql synchronizing

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Graham Anderson wrote:
> I would like to use subversion to synchronize local, development, and
> live mysql databases.
>
> These databases are serving a web site that is already under
> subversion's control.
>
> As subversion is working wonderfully on my local,live, and development
> web sites, how can I include mysql into the mix?
> Is this accomplished with a hook script?

I suspect the answer is going to be that SVN isn't suited for this.
Keeping track of the SQL queries, or copies of dump files, or the
exported data that is going to be moved from development to production
would probably work.

OTOH, we throw data sets around using MDBs stored in SVN (used to use
VSS/SOS) during testing.  But those data sets were then manually loaded
into a production SQL server via a manual step.  We'd also store the
data sets back into MDB at the end of the project and place them in our
VCS for posterity.