Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> on 2007/01/05 20:19:38 UTC

Script for publishing JARs to Maven Repo done

I've created a script that publishes our JARs to a Maven repo (in this
first release, the script is for the apache snapshot repository)
all you need to do is, unzip, edit the mvn.properties.default or create
a mvn.properties file and run the ANT script

http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tomcat-maven-publish.zip

I'd like to include this in our SVN repo, so that when we do a release,
we also publish the JARs when we do a release.
Any thoughts on where to stick it?

you can see my first few test runs at
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/tomcat/

We can also create a 6.0.x-SNAPSHOT version and have nightly builds,
assuming that's how snapshots work.

Filip

Re: Script for publishing JARs to Maven Repo done

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 1/5/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:
> I've created a script that publishes our JARs to a Maven repo (in this
> first release, the script is for the apache snapshot repository)
> all you need to do is, unzip, edit the mvn.properties.default or create
> a mvn.properties file and run the ANT script
>
> http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tomcat-maven-publish.zip

+1, very cool!

> I'd like to include this in our SVN repo, so that when we do a release,
> we also publish the JARs when we do a release.
> Any thoughts on where to stick it?

build/resources maybe?  For 5.5,
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/build/tc5.5.x/, for 6.0 it's
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/res/ .

> We can also create a 6.0.x-SNAPSHOT version and have nightly builds,
> assuming that's how snapshots work.

That's exactly how snapshots work.

Yoav

Re: Script for publishing JARs to Maven Repo done

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> I've created a script that publishes our JARs to a Maven repo (in
>> this first release, the script is for the apache snapshot repository)
>> all you need to do is, unzip, edit the mvn.properties.default or
>> create a mvn.properties file and run the ANT script
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tomcat-maven-publish.zip
>>
>> I'd like to include this in our SVN repo, so that when we do a
>> release, we also publish the JARs when we do a release.
>> Any thoughts on where to stick it?
>
> res/maven, maybe ? I think there are too many files to put it in the
> root of the repository.
I agree, I'll put it in res/maven

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> I've created a script that publishes our JARs to a Maven repo (in this
> first release, the script is for the apache snapshot repository)
> all you need to do is, unzip, edit the mvn.properties.default or create
> a mvn.properties file and run the ANT script
>
> http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/tomcat-maven-publish.zip
>
> I'd like to include this in our SVN repo, so that when we do a release,
> we also publish the JARs when we do a release.
> Any thoughts on where to stick it?

res/maven, maybe ? I think there are too many files to put it in the
root of the repository.

Rémy

Re: Script for publishing JARs to Maven Repo done

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:
> I'll add this patch in, that's not a problem, we've already identified
Thank you.

> So if you are integrating TC6, I hope you are not doing it the same way
> they did TC5.5, we've received complaints about that integration,
> about the fact that server.xml is completely redundant but much more
> complex and less documented in the GBean format.
>
> I was going to, if I had time, simple have tomcat embedded but in such a
> way that configuration files remained the same, even in an embedded version.
> Is this where your head is at too?

The initial goal is to replace TC5 with TC6 as-is.  However, I agree
that Geronimo's  current approach of replicating the Tomcat settings
from server.xml as gbean attributes has caused some confusion for
experienced Tomcat users trying to port their applications to
Geronimo.  Taking this approach has some advantages, though, such as
the ability to expose Tomcat attributes via the Geronimo kernel
through inversion of control.  We can probably come up with a better
alternative if we move this discussion to dev@geronimo, and it would
be timely as well since Geronimo is moving towards xbean.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: Script for publishing JARs to Maven Repo done

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
I'll add this patch in, that's not a problem, we've already identified
all dependencies between the jars.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Works perfectly.  Thanks!

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
done

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Oops I meant to say "Geronimo uses log4j".

Paul

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.