Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Slavazza Piercarlo <sl...@quinary.it> on 2003/04/17 10:17:18 UTC

RSS doesn't refresh

Hi all,

I added to a user page (I'm trying the Jportal site shipped with the
Jetspeed tutorial) an RSS portlet which display the Mozilla RSS feed
(http://www.mozilla.org/news.rdf) but It doesn't refresh (it displays
the news from the wery old rdf which is in the cache): what's the
problem? I tried also the following setting:
services.PortletCache.TimeToLive.default=60
but it doesn't seem to change anything...

Thanks!
piercarlo

PS: I saw from the ml archive that someone some time ago asked this
question... but, when I try to see that post, I get a 404 Not Found error...

Re: RSS doesn't refresh

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Slavazza Piercarlo wrote:
> Jacob Kjome wrote:

The clobal problem is:

The modification date or cached URLs is stored in the filesystem (as the
modification date of the file).

When you deploy a new Jetspeed, the entries are written afresh in the
war, which means they have a "current" date. OTOH, the cache refreshing
logics uses "If-Modified-Since:" in the headers, trying to avoid being a
Denial of Service tool (back in 2000, some of our development machines
were banned from several RSS sources because of this) :-)

This means that you won't get a refresh until, for instance, mozilla.org
or Apacheweek release a new RSS that has a newer date than your
deployment date.

This happens for all non dynamic feeds. A workaround is to delete the
entry from the filesystem.

A proper solution would be to use the URLManager to store the
modification date, and use this date in the checks.

The News Syndication Engine screams for a complete refactoring. In
Jetspeed2 I think we should reimplement it as a portlet application
(i.e. completely outside of the "core" jetspeed) which would give RSS
portlets, heading summaries, Feed admin apps, ... It would be one of the
"demo" portlet applications of Jetspeed. And very helpful for a
hypothetical blogging portlet application. ;-)

>> [...]
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something?  Maybe there is some configuration that
>> provides an interval at which there is a forced RSS cache update?
>

> I think that you could check the value of the property (stated in
> JetspeedResources.properties):
> daemon.diskcachedaemon.interval
> which is expressed in seconds...
>
>> Can you confirm this?  If not, what is the mechanism to clear the RSS
>> cache other than manually deleting the RSS feed cache?
>>
>> Jake
>>
>> At 03:07 PM 4/18/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that this old message:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg00010.html
>>>
>>> clarify a lot of things...

Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)
http://memojo.com?page=SantiagoGalaBlog

Re: RSS doesn't refresh

Posted by Slavazza Piercarlo <sl...@quinary.it>.

Re: RSS doesn't refresh

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Ok, but this message hardly addresses the RSS feeds.  Here is the only
thing mentioned...

"There is a third class of cache, but it is only working for the channels
defined in OCS and it is known as FeedCache."

He then goes on to talk about the standard cache systems.  He talks about
cache having a hardcoded expiration of 15 minutes.  It is pretty obvious
that the RSS cache stays there a lot longer than that.  In fact, once it is
cached, the cached doesn't seem to be updated at all unless it is manually
deleted.

Maybe I'm missing something?  Maybe there is some configuration that
provides an interval at which there is a forced RSS cache update?  Can you

Re: RSS doesn't refresh

Posted by Slavazza Piercarlo <sl...@quinary.it>.

Re: RSS doesn't refresh

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.