Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2006/08/02 07:45:54 UTC

Re: detect per ECMAScript if SMIL animation is present

Hi Andreas.

Andreas Neumann:
> is there a method available to detect per ECMAScript if the SMIL
> animation engine is present?

There are numerous ways you could do this.  One is:

  /Class/.test(Packages.org.apache.batik.anim.AnimationEngine)

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Animation engine only loaded when animation is present

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Hi Urs.

Urs Reupke:
> is there any chance to add switch that forces the engine to load
> no matter what?
> I can well foresee a scenario in which I'd be forced
> to add animation to a preloaded document on short notice, depending on
> events and the underlying model state, and this could be very helpful.

Yes, that is the desired behaviour.  For now you could do something like
have a useless set element in the document:

  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
    <set attributeName="display" to="inline"/>
  </svg>

The reason I am reluctant to kick off the animation engine for all
documents is that it isn’t clever yet about when to check for updates.
Even if there are no animations active, it’ll sit there chewing up the
CPU looking for them every tick.

Stay tuned…