Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nate Davis <na...@medonecapital.com> on 2005/01/10 18:07:56 UTC

Need Some Advice

Howdy,

We are running SpamAssassin 3.0.2 called through QmailScanner.  We are
not using Bayes, and are using systemwide settings.  This Server,
receives the e-mail, and then scans it with SA, and then F-Prot, and
then using qmail (smtproutes) forwards the e-mail on to our internal
mail server.

Now that you understand the setup, more and more Spam seems to be
getting through these days.  When we first set this box up about 6
months ago, it seemed to be tagging tons of spam.  Almost everything
that was spam was being tagged as such.  Now, more and more spam is not
getting tagged.  Below are the settings we have always used.  Because
the e-mail is stored on a totally different server, bayes is not a
reasonable option.  Does anyone have any suggestions that we might be
able to do to tag even more Spam?Here is my local.cf file:

Local.cf
--------------------------------------
required_score 4
rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]
# OK Languages - English and Spanish
ok_languages en es
#  I do this at the SMTP Level (RBL)
skip_rbl_checks 1
use_bayes 0
bayes_auto_learn 0
use_razor2 1
razor_config /etc/mail/spamassassin/.razor/razor-agent.conf
use_auto_whitelist 0

Here is the Contents of my /usr/share/spamassassin dir:   (All the
standard entries)
------------------
10_misc.cf		20_fake_helo_tests.cf	20_ratware.cf	25_uribl.cf
60_whitelist.cf
20_anti_ratware.cf	20_head_tests.cf       20_uri_tests.cf
30_text_de.cf  languages
20_body_tests.cf    20_html_tests.cf       23_bayes.cf
30_text_fr.cf  triplets.txt
20_compensate.cf    20_meta_tests.cf       25_body_tests_es.cf
30_text_nl.cf  user_prefs.template
20_dnsbl_tests.cf   20_phrases.cf          25_hashcash.cf
30_text_pl.cf
20_drugs.cf         20_porn.cf             25_spf.cf
50_scores.cf
------------------

I have heard things about SURBLS, and URIDNSBL, How do I turn these on
to use them, or are they already on?  I installed SpamAssassin 3.0.2
via CPAN.

Thanks for any help,
Nate

Re: Need Some Advice

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, January 10, 2005, 9:07:56 AM, Nate Davis wrote:
> I have heard things about SURBLS, and URIDNSBL, How do I turn these on
> to use them, or are they already on?  I installed SpamAssassin 3.0.2
> via CPAN.

To use SURBLS and RBLs in SA, enable network tests and install
a recent version of Net::DNS.  How you enable network tests
depends on how you start SA.  Some suggestions are at:

  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#nettest

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Need Some Advice

Posted by Kevin Peuhkurinen <ke...@hepcoe.com>.
Nate Davis wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> We are running SpamAssassin 3.0.2 called through QmailScanner.  We are
> not using Bayes, and are using systemwide settings.  This Server,
> receives the e-mail, and then scans it with SA, and then F-Prot, and
> then using qmail (smtproutes) forwards the e-mail on to our internal
> mail server.
>
> Now that you understand the setup, more and more Spam seems to be
> getting through these days.  When we first set this box up about 6
> months ago, it seemed to be tagging tons of spam.  Almost everything
> that was spam was being tagged as such.  Now, more and more spam is
> not getting tagged.  Below are the settings we have always used.
> Because the e-mail is stored on a totally different server, bayes is
> not a reasonable option.

Why isn't Bayes a good option?   Like many people, I have an internal
messaging server which is the final destination of all incoming email.
However, my SpamAssassin box uses global Bayes with autolearning and its
performance is fantastic.   I strongly suggest you reconsider this.

Re: Need Some Advice

Posted by shane mullins <ts...@wise.k12.va.us>.
Hey Nate,

    I would look at using Bayes.  It is well worth the time to set it
up.  Also, you may want to make sure that the dns tests are working.  I
don't remember exactly how to do it.  Try this spamassassin -D --lint
and then look for something pertaining to dns tests.  Someone once
posted that dns tests will catch 90% of spam.  This figure might be
correct.
    I had a similar problem once.  Turns out something was wrong with
dns tests, and my bayes had an issue.  Fixed these two things and have
not had a complaint since.

Shane