Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by David J Craigon <da...@arabidopsis.info> on 2003/04/11 12:24:25 UTC

Re: libcxa.so

You don't need the Intel compiler. Gcc is fine.

In my experience, due to the numorous variations in gcc version* and
other differences between linux distributions, you're always best off
compiling from source. It's very easy, and I've never had it fail on
linux (no programming skill required). On the other hand I've never got
a xerces-c binary package to work (although I haven't tried lately).

David

* To cut a long story short, even slight changes of C++ compiler version
(like between gcc 3.2.0 and gcc 3.2.1, I hear), breaks all of the
existing C++ code you've compiled. This is distinct from C, where code
compiled with one C compiler will usually work with any other C
compiler. This is why it's very difficult to produce "one binary fits
all" packages.

Re: libcxa.so

Posted by mick <mi...@mailandnews.com>.
David, Brice and Neil, thank you all.  Gareth's binaries worked a treat,
and I'll be less hesitant about compiling from source in future!

Cheers,

Mick