Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Bernhard Lenz <BL...@BerMark.com> on 2002/08/15 21:40:25 UTC

org.apache.tools.ant.listener.Log4jListener.taskStarted logging with INFO priority

We configured our build scripts to use ant's Log4jListener to log the
build outputs.

Unfortunately the log outputs get cluttered with tons of "Task started"
and "Task finished" statements which are created by the
org.apache.tools.ant.listener.Log4jListener.taskStarted and taskFinished
methods which log with INFO priority. We cannot filter the INFO messages
because other important information (e.g. execTask, etc.) is logged with
INFO priority.

Does it make sense to change the
org.apache.tools.ant.listener.Log4jListener.taskStarted and taskFinished
methods in the ant code base to log with DEBUG or VERBOSE priority
instead of INFO? I believe start and finish statements (especially on
the task level) is more debugging information rather than helpful info
data.

What is your opinion?

Greetings

Bernie

Re: org.apache.tools.ant.listener.Log4jListener.taskStarted logging with INFO priority

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Can you not simply take advantage of Log4j's category mechanisms to
filter out the category logged by taskStarted/taskFinished which is the
class name of the task?

Thats the beauty of Log4j-like logging - that you can simply log stuff
out without much regard for how its used later, and then filter it using
run-time configuration.

	Erik