Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hendrik <he...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/22 09:53:30 UTC

Concurrent access via file and dav

Hi folks,

is it safe to access a repository via local file:// protocol on a
server that also runs apache2 and mod_dav_svn? I'd like to create tags
locally on the server to avoid some authentication headaches.

cheers
Hendrik

Re: Concurrent access via file and dav

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Stefan Sperling wrote on Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 13:35:11 +0100:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:37:27AM +0100, Hendrik Fuß wrote:
> > Am 22.12.2011 um 11:24 schrieb vishwajeet singh:
> >
> > > On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Hendrik <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > is it safe to access a repository via local file:// protocol on a
> > > server that also runs apache2 and mod_dav_svn? I'd like to create tags
> > > locally on the server to avoid some authentication headaches.
> > >
> > > If you are not doing any write operations that should be just fine.
> >
> > Good. Trouble is, I want to do write operations, e.g. svn copy. Is it safe to do that with subversion?
>
> If you use the same user credentials as httpd you can safely commit
> via file://. But if you commit as a different user you might cause
> permission problems for httpd for new files created in the repository.

(and those permission problems can be avoid when umasks, etc are set
properly)

Re: Concurrent access via file and dav

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Hendrik Fuß <he...@gmail.com>.
Am 22.12.2011 um 12:05 schrieb Mat Booth:
> On 22 December 2011 10:37, Hendrik Fuß <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 22.12.2011 um 11:24 schrieb vishwajeet singh:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Hendrik <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> is it safe to access a repository via local file:// protocol on a
>>> server that also runs apache2 and mod_dav_svn? I'd like to create tags
>>> locally on the server to avoid some authentication headaches.
>>

>> If you are not doing any write operations that should be just fine.
>>

>> Good. Trouble is, I want to do write operations, e.g. svn copy. Is it safe
>> to do that with subversion?
>
> Why not just use the http:// scheme from localhost? That way, write
> operations should be as safe as from any other client machine. The
> file:// scheme is really only safe for a single-user.

It would be convenient. The only reason is that authentication (via Apache/DAV) can get a bit complex in my setup. If I use local file access, I could skip authentication.

Anyway, that is an answer to my question. So I'll have to sit down and figure out how to tweak my apache config to allow localhost access without authentication.

Thanks for your help!

bye

Posted by Mat Booth <ma...@wandisco.com>.
On 22 December 2011 10:37, Hendrik Fuß <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 22.12.2011 um 11:24 schrieb vishwajeet singh:
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Hendrik <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> is it safe to access a repository via local file:// protocol on a
>> server that also runs apache2 and mod_dav_svn? I'd like to create tags
>> locally on the server to avoid some authentication headaches.
>

> If you are not doing any write operations that should be just fine.
>

> Good. Trouble is, I want to do write operations, e.g. svn copy. Is it safe
> to do that with subversion?
>
> cheers
> Hendrik

Why not just use the http:// scheme from localhost? That way, write
operations should be as safe as from any other client machine. The
file:// scheme is really only safe for a single-user.

Mat Booth
Software Engineer
WANdisco, Inc.

http://www.wandisco.com

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com

Everything you need to deploy Subversion in the Enterprise
http://www.wandisco.com/subversion

Subversion community
http://www.svnforum.org

Re: Concurrent access via file and dav

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Hendrik Fuß <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 22.12.2011 um 11:24 schrieb vishwajeet singh:
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Hendrik <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> is it safe to access a repository via local file:// protocol on a
>> server that also runs apache2 and mod_dav_svn? I'd like to create tags
>> locally on the server to avoid some authentication headaches.
>

> If you are not doing any write operations that should be just fine.
>

> Good. Trouble is, I want to do write operations, e.g. svn copy. Is it safe
> to do that with subversion?
>
> cheers
> Hendrik

It can get tricky. If you do it *as the same user* that owns the
repository for Apache or svnserver or svn+ssh access, then you'll
probably be OK. But if you're doing access control with Apache
directives, you'll blow right post them and have some risk of doing
things you don't normally allow. And the management of "sgid"
permission bits and "umask" can get awkward.

You'll also fail to set the user attribution setting for your commits
that is normally derived from the logged in "user" for HTTPS,
svnserve, or svn+ssh authentication.

Like a magician pulling a quarter out of your ear, it can be done
gracefully and effectively, but tends to involve dropping a lot of
quarters on the floor until you've gotten some practice.

Re: Concurrent access via file and dav

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Hendrik Fuß,
am Donnerstag, 22. Dezember 2011 um 11:37 schrieben Sie:

> Good. Trouble is, I want to do write operations, e.g. svn copy. Is
> it safe to do that with subversion?

This may help:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.serverconfig.multimethod.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon.............030-2 1001-310
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

AG Hanover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: Concurrent access via file and dav

Posted by Hendrik Fuß <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vishwajeet singh <de...@gmail.com>.

--