Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <da...@apache.org> on 2016/11/23 15:36:02 UTC

Fwd: JSON License and Apache Projects

FYI: the json.org library for parsing and generating JSON documents
is now category X, which means it is prohibited from being included
in Apache releases.

As far as I know we are not exposed, but we should be diligent and
make note of this and replace if we do have a (transitive)
dependency.

The issue is the "don't use this for evil" clause, that makes it hard to
get past legal departments without any issue. The license is also not
approved by the OSI, and therefore moved to the category X.

Martijn

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
dsl-json seems to be fast, and the license seems to be compatible (BSD
3-Clause).
However, this is a quite new project, which is java-8 oriented AFAICS.
I guess the JSON library we will choose should be java 1.5, 6, 7 & 8
compatible...

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Martin,

sadly there are classes not covered by open-json, but for all others we could make different PRs for 6.x and 7.x and copy them. In this case I would suggest to also let the name of JSONFunction to be like I renamed it.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Try Apache Johnzon.

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
OK,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Looking at

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Looking at

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
We do not depend on it but use a copy of it:
https://github.com/apache/wicket/tree/master/wicket-core/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/ajax/json

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
In case it is about this: org.json:json:jar:20090211 libarary
I'm afraid wicketstuff is affected

Could you please confirm it is about this library?

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> FYI: the json.org library for parsing and generating JSON documents
> is now category X, which means it is prohibited from being included
> in Apache releases.
>
> As far as I know we are not exposed, but we should be diligent and
> make note of this and replace if we do have a (transitive)
> dependency.
>
> The issue is the "don't use this for evil" clause, that makes it hard to
> get past legal departments without any issue. The license is also not
> approved by the OSI, and therefore moved to the category X.
>
> Martijn

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: JSON License and Apache Projects