Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/12/24 01:39:23 UTC

January Podling Report

Hi,

I'm the shepherd for your January Podling report [1] and I've just had a quick look over your mailing list(s), JIRA and web site. I decided to take a look before the report has been submitted due to upcoming holidays.

Looks like you're off to a very good start and I can see people other than the initial committers being active on the mailing list and in JIRA.

I noticed a couple of things which perhaps you would care to comment on or mention in your report.
- There's lot of JIRA and review activity, that's good, but there's doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion. Is there any discussion happening off list?
- While I can't see any issues that need their attention,  your mentors don't seem to be very active (only 1 of 4 has posted to the list). Is this a concern?
- Non committer involvement seems to be mostly by twitter employees.

Also I have a suggestion as I found it hard to scan your dev mailing list as there's a lot of review and JIRA emails being sent to the dev list.  You might want to consider moving them to a separate issues list.

There's generally two schools of thought re having a separate issue list:
- Don't have one so all subscribers can see all the issues and help out or comment on.
- Create a separate list if there's too much noise as people may be reluctant to subscribe to the dev list (or worse unsubscribe).

Just my thoughts as an external observer, you are free to ignore them all, as you know your project far better than I do.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2014