Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2006/05/14 20:55:46 UTC

[proposal] terminating the maven-2.0.x branch

Hi,

I propose we focus on developing Maven 2.1 with both a mix of new
features and bug fixes.

If we identify the need for a 2.0.5, we should manually merge changes
there based on revisions from trunk, bearing in mind our new dev process.

Thoughts?

- Brett

Re: [proposal] terminating the maven-2.0.x branch

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.
I think the idea is not to terminate it, but simply to move further
development to the trunk, and use the branch only for bug fixes (e.g.
2.0.6/7/8...) while the trunk will be used for the main development
(2.1 for instance).

On 5/21/06, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Brett Porter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I propose we focus on developing Maven 2.1 with both a mix of new
> > features and bug fixes.
> >
> > If we identify the need for a 2.0.5, we should manually merge changes
> > there based on revisions from trunk, bearing in mind our new dev process.
> Why would anyone terminate a bug fix branch?  If someone wants to put
> fixes into 2.0, why stop them?  Maybe I don't understand what you mean
> by terminate.
>

> Regards,
> Alan

______________________________________
Cheers,
      Arik Kfir                                   arikkfir@gmail.com
      Linux user, number 415067 - http://counter.li.org/
      http://corleon.dnsalias.org

Re: [proposal] terminating the maven-2.0.x branch

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 14 May 06, at 11:55 AM 14 May 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I propose we focus on developing Maven 2.1 with both a mix of new
> features and bug fixes.
>
> If we identify the need for a 2.0.5, we should manually merge
> changes there based on revisions from trunk, bearing in mind our
> new dev process.
>
> Thoughts?

We really have a lot of work to do in order to get the design for 2.1
done and in the meantime I think we can get lots of fixes done and
release a couple 2.0.x releases. I think folks are more likely to use
2.0.x release then 2.1-alpha releases.

We can still do things like vastly improve our testing, trying the
embedder for tests and even refactor nasty bits like the project
build and the plugin manager.

I honestly don't see a real 2.1-alpha coming for a least three months
and I think we can clearly separate new features from fixes and
testing improvements and we keep pushing out 2.0.x release until we
have a sound plan for 2.1. I think this would force us to build up
the testing first to make sure that our refactoring works well. I
don't see any need to rush 2.1, I think the cleansing should happen
on the branch so we can get it out to users faster, and I think it
will also make working on 2.1 issues easier.

I'm not -1 on this, I just think we can make tons of improvements on
the branch (which go into the trunk anyway) while we get 2.1 sorted
out. Which reminds me, I need to post something about that.

> - Brett

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org