Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vadim Letitchevski <vl...@teledyne.com> on 2009/12/05 00:26:00 UTC

JSSE question

I am confused. Can Tomcat use only JKS keystore or it can also use pem or some other certificate storages?

Thanks
Vadim.
(310)765-3812

RE: JSSE question

Posted by Vadim Letitchevski <vl...@teledyne.com>.
Thank you Bill.

Vadim.

Posted by Vadim Letitchevski <vl...@teledyne.com>.
Thanks. I will try it.
Vadim.

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.
"Christopher Schultz" <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote in message

> Vadim,
>
> On 12/7/2009 1:25 PM, Vadim Letitchevski wrote:
>> openssl pkcs12 -export -in /etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.crt -inkey
>> /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.key -out mycert.p12 -name tomcat -CAfile
>> /etc/pki/tls/cacert.pem -caname root -chain
>>
>> I have used the password changeit.
>
> Note that you have created certificate in PKCS12 format, not a keystore.
> You now need to take the next step in the SSL HOWTO which is to use the
> Java 'keytool' utility to create a keystore.

Yes, the documentation in the SSL HOWTO is somewhat confusing :(.  There are
actually two separate examples there (one for PKCS12 and one for JKS), but
it isn't very clear from reading the doc where one ends and the other
begins.  For PKCS12 you are done after creating the .p12 file (except for
the undocumented part about adding the keystoreType to the <Connector />).

If anybody wants to take a crack at cleaning this up (with bonus points for
adding a PKCS11 example), patches are always welcome.

Re: JSSE question

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: JSSE question

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am Montag, den 07.12.2009, 10:25 -0800 schrieb Vadim Letitchevski:
> Bill.
>
> I have followed the recommendations in that document but did not succeed.
> So I have a set of self-generated (using OpenSSL) credentials. OpenSSL server and client work fine (connect) using these credentials with authentication both ways.
> Following the instructions in (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssl-howto.html) I have done:
>
> openssl pkcs12 -export -in /etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.crt -inkey /etc/pki/tls/private/localhost.key -out mycert.p12 -name tomcat -CAfile /etc/pki/tls/cacert.pem -caname root -chain
>
> I have used the password changeit.
>
> Next I have edited server.xml to have these strings:
>
>     <!-- Define a server-auth SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8442 -->
>     <Connector port="8442" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" SSLEnabled="true"
>                keystoreFile="conf/mycert.p12" keystorePass="changeit"
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>                enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>                scheme="https" secure="true"
>                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
try to add
 keystoreType="pkcs12" truststoreType="pkcs12"
the default values for these are JKS. Look at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html at section SSL
support.

>     <!-- Define a mutual-auth SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
>     <Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" SSLEnabled="true"
>                keystoreFile="conf/mycert.p12" keystorePass="changeit"
>                truststoreFile="conf/mycert.p12" truststorePass="changeit"
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>                enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>                scheme="https" secure="true"
>                clientAuth="true" sslProtocol="TLS" />
same here.

bye
 Felix

RE: JSSE question

Posted by Vadim Letitchevski <vl...@teledyne.com>.
Thanks again Chuck. Unfortunately Bill's suggestion did not work or I did something wrong.

Thanks
Vadim.
(310)765-3812

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

RE: JSSE question

Posted by Vadim Letitchevski <vl...@teledyne.com>.
Hi Chuck.

Thank you for your quick response. It makes it really interactive. I checked the log file and it states that APR library was not found.
I am using the binary distribution 6.0.20 from the Tomcat website on CentOS 5.

Thanks
Vadim.
(310)765-3812

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

RE: JSSE question

Posted by Vadim Letitchevski <vl...@teledyne.com>.
Hi Chuck

It does not help either. You are probably right about APR, I have noticed the strings
  <!--APR library loader. Documentation at /docs/apr.html -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on" />
In my server.xml.

So following the document you suggested I have changed my server.xml (see attached) and copied pem forkat files localhost.crt and localhost.key from their default locations to conf folder.
So now the Tomcat does not recognize the keystore format. If I had to use pkcs12 certificate which I have exported before then what key file should I use? Should I also export it into pkcs12? How?

Thanks
Vadim.
(310)765-3812

> I have followed the recommendations in that document but did not
> succeed.

Are you using APR with Tomcat?  If so, the proper doc is here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html#HTTPS

 - Chuck

RE: JSSE question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.