Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Jonathan Poltak Samosir <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/07 09:25:14 UTC

org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ExitCodeException whenever Samza container launches

Hi all,

Currently experiencing a strange problem with a new Samza system I am writing to connect and read from databases via JDBC. I have based it off another system I have written to read from files (which works), and at the moment there are not a lot of differences apart from opening a database Connection rather than opening a Reader on a file.

The issue does not seem to be related to my code, going by the logs and how my code is directly based off another working system, although I could be wrong.

If anyone has encountered a similar problem, or knows the reason behind this, I would love to hear your thoughts. Searching around, I am yet to find any solutions or explanations that fit with the problem which I am encountering.

Here is the AM log:
https://gist.github.com/poltak/8858874

If needed, my SystemFactory and SystemConsumer implementations can be found here:
https://github.com/poltak/hello-samza/tree/database-reader/samza-wikipedia/src/main/java/samza/examples/databasereader/system

Along with the config file I am using when the error occurs:
https://github.com/poltak/hello-samza/blob/database-reader/samza-job-package/src/main/config/database-reader-feed.properties

Let me know if any further information is needed, and will update this if I find any solution/explanation.

Thanks for your time,
Jonathan

Re: org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ExitCodeException whenever Samza container launches

Posted by Jonathan Poltak Samosir <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Turns out it was my code's problem. For some reason the com.mysql.jdbc.Driver class wouldn't load, was throwing an exception and making the SystemFactory.getConsumer() return null, hence the container failing and the AM complaining.

I didn't realise this as there was only a small window of time in which I could access the container logs before it failed and the YARN UI shut me out of there. It didn't help that it's running on a remote node and would take a bit to load sometimes.

Finally managed to access the logs properly earlier, and it all then became apparent.

Thanks anyway, and will be sure to contribute back after I get things working.

Jonathan

From: Chris Riccomini criccomini@linkedin.com
Reply: dev@samza.incubator.apache.org dev@samza.incubator.apache.org
Date: 7 February 2014 at 10:10:12