Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org> on 2021/04/18 18:17:40 UTC

Failing IT's on Linux in GitHub Actions

Hi all,

It seems the following IT's predictably fail on Linux (not on Windows or
MacOS) in GitHub Actions, but not at all in Jenkins:

* MavenIT0146InstallerSnapshotNaming
* MavenITmng2387InactiveProxyTest
* MavenITmng4991NonProxyHostsTest

This is also the case in master, by the way. What they have in common is
that they all spin up an HTTP server during the test, but apparently
that server cannot be reached under all circumstances.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this and how we could
address this?

Thanks,

Maarten

Re: Failing IT's on Linux in GitHub Actions

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Should we set java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true?

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
yup definitely use loopback address (hostnames are not very reliable on
such ephemeral nodes environments)

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
I had this problem with GH CI:

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tibor Digaňa <ti...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
yes, there was one more issue with host.
I also had to turn "localhost" to 127.0.0.1 in the socket.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 11:48 PM Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> Do not change ports or use hard coded ports.
> The current ITs are using port 0 which means Jetty will allocate a
> random available port.
> There must be some problems with host lookup. In some environments (such as
> kubernetes) using localhost or 127.0.0.1 can be problematic.
> What is the error?
>
> What is the status of using java8 for IT tests? (current ITs are using a
> very very old version of Jetty 9.0.4...)
>

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 06:56, Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I had exactly the same problem and I added one more step to the CI which
> > checked all open ports.
> > For instance they changed something in Github and 8081 or 8082 was
> > allocated.
> > There was a conflict with the ports and I had to shift mine, that;s it.

> > On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 8:17 PM Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > It seems the following IT's predictably fail on Linux (not on Windows
> or
> > > MacOS) in GitHub Actions, but not at all in Jenkins:
> > >
> > > * MavenIT0146InstallerSnapshotNaming
> > > * MavenITmng2387InactiveProxyTest
> > > * MavenITmng4991NonProxyHostsTest
> > >
> > > This is also the case in master, by the way. What they have in common
> is
> > > that they all spin up an HTTP server during the test, but apparently
> > > that server cannot be reached under all circumstances.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this and how we could
> > > address this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Maarten

> Olivier Lamy

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Failing IT's on Linux in GitHub Actions

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Do not change ports or use hard coded ports.
The current ITs are using port 0 which means Jetty will allocate a
random available port.
There must be some problems with host lookup. In some environments (such as
kubernetes) using localhost or 127.0.0.1 can be problematic.
What is the error?

What is the status of using java8 for IT tests? (current ITs are using a
very very old version of Jetty 9.0.4...)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 06:56, Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem and I added one more step to the CI which
> checked all open ports.
> For instance they changed something in Github and 8081 or 8082 was
> allocated.
> There was a conflict with the ports and I had to shift mine, that;s it.

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 8:17 PM Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It seems the following IT's predictably fail on Linux (not on Windows or
> > MacOS) in GitHub Actions, but not at all in Jenkins:
> >
> > * MavenIT0146InstallerSnapshotNaming
> > * MavenITmng2387InactiveProxyTest
> > * MavenITmng4991NonProxyHostsTest
> >
> > This is also the case in master, by the way. What they have in common is
> > that they all spin up an HTTP server during the test, but apparently
> > that server cannot be reached under all circumstances.
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this and how we could
> > address this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Maarten

Olivier Lamy

Re: Failing IT's on Linux in GitHub Actions

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.