Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/15 01:20:34 UTC

Re: Fontbox optional dependency

I applied the OTF patch (FOP-2252) since it is a large patch and if it
goes stale it will be very difficult to apply. However, I realized after
I applied it that it introduces a dependency on pdfbox. Because of this
I committed the pdfbox jar or otherwise the unit tests would fail. More
than that, even a simple FOP hello world cannot be run without the
pdfbox jar. Unfortunately I had the pdfbox jar in my lib directory and
that is why I missed the dependency before I committed the patch.

Since what Robert  had put forward was a dependency on fontbox only, not
on pdfbox, I think we need to discuss what to do. Should I revert the
commit? That is my inclination but I want to know what others think
before I do it.

Posted by Robert Meyer <rm...@hotmail.co.uk>.

Ok, that's good to hear. Thanks Luis(!). You'd think after knowing you for over a year now I could learn to spell your name correctly ;)

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 09:13:28 +0100
Subject: Re: Fontbox optional dependency
From: lmpmbernardo@gmail.com
To: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org

OK, I think the problem was caused by the fop-pdf-images.jar being in the classpath in my machine. I will remove the pdfbox jar.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Robert Meyer <rm...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for doing this. I really should have done this myself but will try and ease my way into committing by doing a few small patches first and working my way up.

I checked out the latest from trunk and can see that the pdfbox jar in there. However, if I remove it from the lib directory, compile and run the unit tests it seems to work fine? What errors are you getting without the pdfbox jar in place? I also tried running an example but again it worked without the jar. Fontbox should only be an optional dependency i.e. needs it to compile, but doesn't have to be there to run.

Robert

          From: glenn@skynav.com

          Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:40:05 -0600

          To: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org