Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2014/05/20 09:03:19 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in trunk

Hi all,
this morning I was about to upgrade some dependencies in the trunk
(mainly due to the fresh release of CXF 3.0.0): while many of them were
upgraded. I had to give up with Commons DBCP since their latest stable
release 2.0 requires Java 7 [1].

Now, since support for Java 6 was dropped a long while ago [1], and
since I can see many other ASF projects setting Java 7 as their minimum
requirement (besides Commons DBCP 2.0, also Tomcat >= 8.0, Wicket 7, CXF
is discussing about this step [3]), I would like to propose to switch to
Java 7 as minimum requirement for the trunk.

WDYT?

Regards.

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/
[2] https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for
[3]
http://cxf.547215.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Short-term-plans-branching-td5744177.html

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in trunk

Posted by Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro <ma...@tirasa.net>.
Il giorno 20/mag/2014, alle ore 09:03, Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> Hi all,
> this morning I was about to upgrade some dependencies in the trunk (mainly due to the fresh release of CXF 3.0.0): while many of them were upgraded. I had to give up with Commons DBCP since their latest stable release 2.0 requires Java 7 [1].
>
> Now, since support for Java 6 was dropped a long while ago [1], and since I can see many other ASF projects setting Java 7 as their minimum requirement (besides Commons DBCP 2.0, also Tomcat >= 8.0, Wicket 7, CXF is discussing about this step [3]), I would like to propose to switch to Java 7 as minimum requirement for the trunk.
>
> WDYT?

+1

Marco

> Regards.
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/
> [2] https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for
> [3] http://cxf.547215.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Short-term-plans-branching-td5744177.html
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/
>
> Involved at The Apache Software Foundation:
> member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC
> http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

--
Dott. Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro
Tel. +39 3939065570

Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale D'Annunzio 267 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Apache Syncope PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~mdisabatino/

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in trunk

Posted by andrea patricelli <an...@tirasa.net>.
Il 20/05/2014 09:03, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
> Hi all,
> this morning I was about to upgrade some dependencies in the trunk
> (mainly due to the fresh release of CXF 3.0.0): while many of them
> were upgraded. I had to give up with Commons DBCP since their latest
> stable release 2.0 requires Java 7 [1].
>
> Now, since support for Java 6 was dropped a long while ago [1], and
> since I can see many other ASF projects setting Java 7 as their
> minimum requirement (besides Commons DBCP 2.0, also Tomcat >= 8.0,
> Wicket 7, CXF is discussing about this step [3]), I would like to
> propose to switch to Java 7 as minimum requirement for the trunk.
>
> WDYT?

I completely agree that it's time, +1 (non binding).
> Regards.
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/
> [2] https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for
> [3]
> http://cxf.547215.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Short-term-plans-branching-td5744177.html

Best regards,

Andrea

--
Dott. Andrea Patricelli
Tel +393204524292

Junior Engineer @ Tirasa S.r.l.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
> Shall I file an issue to be fixed in 1.3.0 for Java 7?

+1.

Colm.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org
> wrote:

> On 20/05/2014 18:34, Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to keep Java 6 compatibility with Syncope 1.2 and then drop
>> it for Syncope 1.3. Given that this aligns with the probably versions of
>> CXF in both releases, it seems to make sense. Or are there any really
>> pressing reasons to drop compability for Syncope 1.2?
>>

> Hi Colm,
> no, I don't see any compelling reason to make the switch in Syncope 1.2:
> doing it for Syncope 1.3 sounds reasonable anyway.
>
> Maybe this could also help finalizing 1.2.0 as soon as possible and then
> start working on 1.3 - which should also bring strong new features as Camel
> [1].
>
> Shall I file an issue to be fixed in 1.3.0 for Java 7?
>
> Regards.
>
>  On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Francesco
>>>
>>> On 20/05/14 08:03, Francesco Chicchiriccň wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi all,

>>> Java 6 customers be able to switch to 3.0.0 from 2.7.x, CXF
>>> 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT
>>> will be indeed Java 7 based. It is probably not going to affect Syncope,
>>> but mentioning it just in case
>>>
>>> Cheers, Sergey
>>>

>>>   WDYT?

>>> [4] http://syncope-dev.1063484.n5.nabble.com/An-Apache-Camel-
> Integratation-Proposal-Important-updates-td5715029.html
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/
>
> Involved at The Apache Software Foundation:
> member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC
> http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in trunk

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Java 6 support in trunk

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Francesco

Posted by "Massimiliano Perrone (tirasa.net)" <ma...@tirasa.net>.
On 05/20/2014 09:03 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> Hi all,
> this morning I was about to upgrade some dependencies in the trunk
> (mainly due to the fresh release of CXF 3.0.0): while many of them
> were upgraded. I had to give up with Commons DBCP since their latest
> stable release 2.0 requires Java 7 [1].
>
> Now, since support for Java 6 was dropped a long while ago [1], and
> since I can see many other ASF projects setting Java 7 as their
> minimum requirement (besides Commons DBCP 2.0, also Tomcat >= 8.0,
> Wicket 7, CXF is discussing about this step [3]), I would like to
> propose to switch to Java 7 as minimum requirement for the trunk.
>
> WDYT?

+1

> Regards.
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/
> [2] https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for
> [3]
> http://cxf.547215.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Short-term-plans-branching-td5744177.html

--
Massimiliano Perrone
Tel +39 393 9121310

Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale D'Annunzio 267 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Apache Syncope PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~massi/

"L'apprendere molte cose non insegna l'intelligenza"
(Eraclito)