Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by felix l <fe...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/02 15:52:02 UTC

Cannot access remote web app

Hi all,

I have a Java web app that has shown to be working while accessing via
http://localhost:8080/webapp1. I have two machines, 1 laptop and 1 desktop,
both installed Tomcat 5.5 on WinXP. The problem is when I start Tomcat on my
laptop, both machine can access the web app. On the other hand, if I start
Tomcat on my desktop, my laptop cannot access it and give me a good old 404
error. Where should I first look into in order to fix the problem? Would
Spybot or anti-virus app be a cause of this?

Thanks,
Felix

Re: Cannot access remote web app

Posted by felix l <fe...@gmail.com>.
Amazing. Firewall was the problem.

Thanks again, everyone.

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> I have a Java web app that has shown to be working while accessing via
> http://localhost:8080/webapp1. I have two machines, 1 laptop and 1
> desktop,
> both installed Tomcat 5.5 on WinXP. The problem is when I start Tomcat on
> my
> laptop, both machine can access the web app. On the other hand, if I start
> Tomcat on my desktop, my laptop cannot access it and give me a good old
> 404
> error. Where should I first look into in order to fix the problem? Would
> Spybot or anti-virus app be a cause of this?
>
> Thanks,
> Felix

Felix XP has a built in fire wall thing...
control panel -> security center -> firewall - > exceptions -> open up port
8080

Then if your machine name is SERVER

type

http://SERVER:8080

and you should get the standard TC page.

If you have messed with the standard settings in web.xml
put them back to the defaults

have fun

The only real POJO Application Server.

Re: Cannot access remote web app

Posted by bh...@aol.com.
If the case is:

* webapp1 deployed on Desktop
* accessible from desktop using http://localhost:8080/webapp1
* not accessible (404) from laptop using http://<desktop>:8080/webapp1

... then I think you should check the access logs in Tomcat to see what
request in coming from the laptop. To enable access logging on tomcat
you just need to uncomment the AccessLog valve in server.xml.
Alternative you can use a proxy / intercepter to capture the HTTP
traffic b/w laptop and desktop.