Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com> on 2007/09/21 13:43:17 UTC

BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument

Hi,

You have probably noticed that I'm doing some documentation work. I wanted to have better
(meaningful) URLs for documents I create and recalled that Daisy has support for this. Then I found
that we use BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument for our navigations. AFAIK, BookDefinition
does not support giving explicit IDs for its nodes thus nice URLs are impossible to achieve. Is it true?

I found a very nice e-mail[1] from Reinhard that provides very good overview (thanks Reinhard!) of
our current documentation system. Use of BookDefinition has been mentioned in that e-mail in
following way:

"I recommend that you use the BookDefinition instead of the NavigationDocument type which is more
powerful as it allows the creation of books."

Unfortunately there was no elaboration on BookDefinition power.

How my problem can be solved?

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/66732

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You have probably noticed that I'm doing some documentation work. I wanted to have better
>> (meaningful) URLs for documents I create and recalled that Daisy has support for this. Then I found
>> that we use BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument for our navigations. AFAIK, BookDefinition
>> does not support giving explicit IDs for its nodes thus nice URLs are impossible to achieve. Is it true?
>>
>> I found a very nice e-mail[1] from Reinhard that provides very good overview (thanks Reinhard!) of
>> our current documentation system. Use of BookDefinition has been mentioned in that e-mail in
>> following way:
>>
>> "I recommend that you use the BookDefinition instead of the NavigationDocument type which is more
>> powerful as it allows the creation of books."
>>
>> Unfortunately there was no elaboration on BookDefinition power.
>>
>> How my problem can be solved?
>
> Reinhard, could you comment on this?

There are long discussions in our archives about the pros and cons and I was on
the side of those who prefer IDs because sooner or later the content doesn't
match this ID. Hence I have never missed speaking document names in URLs. I also
think that the Maven Daisy plugin wouldn't support them.

Answering your question: I think that's a restriction of book definitions
because for the creation of a book it doesn't add any value to set alternative IDs.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.