Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ryan Ferguson <ry...@rim.com> on 2004/07/22 20:49:05 UTC

Autolearning issue (This time with HAM)

I have auto learning turned on for the Bayes database and for Spam it is
learning just fine.  I have this set to 12.  For Ham, it is not learning
a thing.  I have this set to -2.  I have had emails with a score of -15
go through the system and it still did not learn them.

I took a rule and made it a score of -15, sent an email through the
system and it did learn that one.  Just does not seem to be auto
learning anything else.

Any thoughts on what I can check?  (Running 2.63)

- Ryan

Re: Autolearning issue (This time with HAM)

Posted by Ryan Thompson <sp...@sasknow.com>.
Ryan Ferguson wrote to spamassassin-users@incubator.apache.org:

> I have auto learning turned on for the Bayes database and for Spam it
> is learning just fine.  I have this set to 12.  For Ham, it is not
> learning a thing.  I have this set to -2.  I have had emails with a
> score of -15 go through the system and it still did not learn them.
>
> I took a rule and made it a score of -15, sent an email through the
> system and it did learn that one.  Just does not seem to be auto
> learning anything else.

Keep in mind that autolearn will ignore any rules with

     tflags	RULE	    noautolearn

Which, notably, includes the Bayes rules... so if Bayes is the only
significant negative-scoring rule you have, the message isn't going to
be autolearned. This is why your -15 rule resulted in autolearning, but,
for example, BAYES_00's -4.9 will not.

The best solution to this is to create some local ham rules that assign
negative points to emails.... or increase your ham autolearn threshold
so that if no spammy signs are detected, it'll autolearn. Personally,
I'd do a little bit of both. :-)

And, of course, you still have the option (and the recommendation) to
manually feed Bayes with anything that hasn't been autolearned.

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon

Re: Autolearning issue (This time with HAM)

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.

Run with -D and read http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutolearningNotWorking

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"The most useful pieces of engineering that you'll probably ever have to