Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/02/13 15:50:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation to a TLP?

Hi all,

I started a conversation within cloudstack-private@i.a.o about the
prospect of graduation from the incubator, and have received positive
reactions from everyone that replied.

I wanted to kick off the discussion here on the public list, to see if
anyone has any concerns or objections to us starting down the path of
trying to graduate?

My general impression is that we have come a long way as a community
since CloudStack entered the incubator. While there are still rough edges
for us to work through over time, we are dealing with our problems quite
well as a community. The simple reason that I believe we are in a
position to ask to graduate, is that we are no longer getting value from
the incubation process!  That's a good thing, because it means that we
have managed to learn quite a bit about the ASF processes, rules,
methods and preferences.

Thoughts, comments, discussion?

If the community is in general agreement, we have some work to get done:

We need to go through the podling status file, and ensure that we have
completed everything that needs to be completed:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html

The CloudStack trademark is currently owned by Citrix.  We need to have
that transfered to ASF prior to graduation.  David also suggested in the
private list that we probably need to execute the formal ASF name
search, for the purpose of providing the ASF with assurances that there
are no surprise conflicts.

Once we get the final pre-graduation requirements completed, we need to
go through the process of attempting to graduate.  I suggest that folks
take a minute to read through the Incubator's Guide to Successful
Graduation page [1].

The first step of the process seems to be to kick off a formal community
vote to propose graduation to the IPMC.  If we vote to graduate, then we
have to draft a charter / graduation resolution.  This is will be
proposed to the IPMC for their review, and if passed in an IPMC vote we
forward it to the ASF board for their vote during a monthly board
meeting.

So that's the high level process...  As I asked above, any thoughts?

-chip

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation to a TLP?

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
OK, thanks, everyone

I've only been involved with CloudStack for a couple months now, so am
trying to understand process in addition to the way the system works and
how the code is structured.

Good stuff :)

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

RE: [DISCUSS] Graduation to a TLP?

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
Mike,

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Mike Tutkowski
<mi...@solidfire.com> wrote:
> Can I ask what may be a silly question about voting?  :)
>
> When these votes are put out there, who can vote?  Just committers or
> anyone participating in the community?
>
> Thanks!

https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html

Generally speaking  - anyone can vote.
On technical matters, only committers votes are binding.
In other matters (releases, adopting new codebases, etc) (P)PMC votes
are binding.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation to a TLP?

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
> My main concerns revolve around those rough edges you mention. There
> still seems to be a lot of confusion around the time-based release. We
> got a lot of "wait, I can't include this" emails, I've seen people
> commit directly to the 4.0 branch post-release rather than the manager
> pulling in (perhaps they got buy-off from the release manager, I don't
> know, but still it raised alarm bells for me to see the logs). There
> was the whole javelin thing. Confusion around voting on the mailing
> lists, etc.

We're not perfect - but that's not the point of incubation, really. At
this point, at least from my POV, we're "policing" ourselves well and
following Apache policies.

If we waited until we had every process sorted out and no confusion...
well, that'd be a very long time. And that's not a bad thing.

> I tend to agree with you Chip, that the incubation process itself may
> not teach us anything further about these things, and they're just
> things we need to iron out over time.

+1

Graduating isn't saying "we're perfect now" just that we've reached a
stage where we can handle issues within the project and/or know when to
reach out for help from other parts of the Apache project - like @legal,
@trademarks, etc.

Best,

jzb

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
I presume Sebastien meant 4.1?

My main concerns revolve around those rough edges you mention. There
still seems to be a lot of confusion around the time-based release. We
got a lot of "wait, I can't include this" emails, I've seen people
commit directly to the 4.0 branch post-release rather than the manager
pulling in (perhaps they got buy-off from the release manager, I don't
know, but still it raised alarm bells for me to see the logs). There
was the whole javelin thing. Confusion around voting on the mailing
lists, etc.

I tend to agree with you Chip, that the incubation process itself may
not teach us anything further about these things, and they're just
things we need to iron out over time.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 13, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 05:54:36PM +0100, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

>> I meant 4.1
>>
>>> So I think that we don't have to tie this to a specific release.  We've
>>> proven that we know how to do the mechanics of an ASF release now (with
>>> 2 under our belts), and anything we would do to get better at our
>>> community's release processes are purely for our community to be
>>> concerned with (assuming that we don't regress in any of our obligations
>>> as an Apache project).
>>>
>>> I also don't think that we really have a case to build.  As I indicated,
>>> the discussion on the private list was positive, and that included
>>> comments from mentors saying that they felt we were ready.
>>>

>> Ok, I did not get that from your first email, so this is good news.
>>
>>> IMO, the decision to ask to graduate should be based on what I believe
>>> the primary goal of incubation is for a podling (assuming the legal,
>>> procedural, policy stuff is sorted): Building an "Open and Diverse
>>> community" [1].  I'd add "the ability to self govern" to that goal.  I
>>> believe that we have achieved this, and, while we will need to
>>> perpetually work to grow and strengthen the community, we aren't getting
>>> value from being in the incubator anymore.
>>>
>> IMHO we are fine on the "self-govern", there are still rough edges on the procedures.
>>

> If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that no software
> project is satisfied with it's processes.  ;-)  They are always going to
> be a little rough, and we'll always be improving them.
>
> My point is that the processes we use, or will use, are an issue for the
> community to deal with.  We aren't getting any special value from being
> a podling as we work on improving them.

Ok, I am in agreement :)

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 13, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:49:55PM +0100, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 13, 2013, at 4:43 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

>> Are you thinking to do this prior to 4.2 release ?
>>
>> With my individual hat on, I think it might be best to put up a strong 4.2 release and then vote for graduation. It would strengthen our case.

I meant 4.1

> So I think that we don't have to tie this to a specific release.  We've
> proven that we know how to do the mechanics of an ASF release now (with
> 2 under our belts), and anything we would do to get better at our
> community's release processes are purely for our community to be
> concerned with (assuming that we don't regress in any of our obligations
> as an Apache project).
>
> I also don't think that we really have a case to build.  As I indicated,
> the discussion on the private list was positive, and that included
> comments from mentors saying that they felt we were ready.

Ok, I did not get that from your first email, so this is good news.

> IMO, the decision to ask to graduate should be based on what I believe
> the primary goal of incubation is for a podling (assuming the legal,
> procedural, policy stuff is sorted): Building an "Open and Diverse
> community" [1].  I'd add "the ability to self govern" to that goal.  I
> believe that we have achieved this, and, while we will need to
> perpetually work to grow and strengthen the community, we aren't getting
> value from being in the incubator anymore.

IMHO we are fine on the "self-govern", there are still rough edges on the procedures.

> Directly answering the question about "prior to 4.2": I don't think they
> are related.  If we are ready and it happens before 4.2, then great.  If
> not, then that should be because our process to graduate just took that
> long.

ok

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.