Posted to user@ode.apache.org by "ReneR." <Re...@gmx.de> on 2009/10/29 15:14:18 UTC

Creating Extension Activities in ODE

Hello,

I need some help with the creation of Extension Activities. I looked up the
e4x classes and files in there to get a little idea about how extension
activities work, but i must admit, that i didnt really get it...

I dont know how ODE can understand our activity and where we have to put
them. I saw, that there are some bpel and wsdl test files in the e4x folder.
So do we have to put our own extension activities as a bpel file somewhere
into ODE or how does it work. I am totaly lost right now, because on the ODE
page, there is only a little introduction on how to put extensionActivities
and extensionAssignOperation into a bpel process and how to install these
extensions. I dont get the whole fact about creating extension bundels,
making ODE understand the extensions and so on

Do we also have to do something with the compiler, or is creating extion
activities as simple as to put the bpel file somewhere and it is done?

I hope you can help my out,

Greetings René

Re: Creating Extension Activities in ODE

Posted by BlueDiamond <gv...@in.com>.
I am also looking for the same kind of information. Is there any kind of
related documentation/samples available that can help us out?

Thanks,
Anil

Re: Creating Extension Activities in ODE

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

extension classes have to be in the class path and have to be registered
to the engine by adding them to ode-axis2.properties or
ode-jbi.properties respectively as explained in the docs. A process
bundle defines a collection of extension operations that share the same
extension namespace. Such an extension namespace must be declared in the
preamble of the BPEL process in order to tell the engine that this
process model makes use of an extension and how the engine should deal
with the situation if the extension is not available of that instance of
the engine. Please see the BPEL spec for more details on that.

Best starting points for implementing own extension bundles is indeed
the E4X extension and take these API classes as reference [1].
AbstractSyncExtensionOperation is the best starting point but is only
suitable if you have very shortrunning extensions. Then, create your own
subclass of AbstractExtensionBundle, register your extension operations
and make ODE aware of this bundle. Then you should be set.

HTH,
  Tammo

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ode/trunk/runtimes/src/main/java/org/apache/ode/bpel/rtrep/common/extension/