Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jwang <je...@hotmail.com> on 2011/10/04 08:32:37 UTC

Deploy Solritas as a separate application?

Solritas is a nice search UI integrated with Solr with many features we could
use. However we do not want to build our UI into our Solr instance. We will
have a front-end web app interfacing with Solr. Is there an easy way to
deploy Solritas as a separate application (e.g., Solritas with SolrJ to
query a backend Solr instance)?

Re: Deploy Solritas as a separate application?

Posted by jwang <je...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Erik. Our web tier is in Java. I probably will implement something
using the same velocity template. As you said I think there is plenty of
code that I can borrow from the Solritas project.

Re: Deploy Solritas as a separate application?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 3, 2011, at 23:32 , jwang wrote:

> Solritas is a nice search UI integrated with Solr with many features we could
> use. However we do not want to build our UI into our Solr instance. We will
> have a front-end web app interfacing with Solr. Is there an easy way to
> deploy Solritas as a separate application (e.g., Solritas with SolrJ to
> query a backend Solr instance)?

Well thanks!

It currently can't be deployed into a front-end webapp as is.  [though one could set it up as a non-doc-containing front-end to another shard, perhaps]

The Velocity stuff is quite straightforward though, so it'd be easy to create a servlet that passed requests to Solr and fed the response to Velocity templates.  I've thought about implementing this sort of thing a million times over.  I've come up with what I think is a very lean/clean way to do this, still using Velocity templates, but using JRuby (via Sinatra) as the front-end web tier.  I've implemented, a while ago, a proof-of-concept of this here:

    https://github.com/lucidimagination/Prism

I'd like to make time to flesh this out even further.  The templates could be made practically the same from inside Solr's wt=velocity infrastructure to an external system using Velocity to render Solr responses.

In general - what you're asking for specifically doesn't exist that I know of, but the pieces are all kind of there to put this together.  And Prism is my opinionated way that Solr-backed UI can be built leanly and cleanly.

	Erik