Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2008/01/02 09:51:07 UTC

[HttpCore] SIP contrib status (was: We already provde limited support for SIP, don't we?)

Hi all,

I've added some more contrib code for SIP:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/sip/

Note that all this code is completely untested.
All I can say is that it compiles and doesn't
generate JavaDoc errors. With that in mind...

It should be possible to send SIP messages with HttpCore.
Just make sure to pass SipVersion.SIP_2_0 to the constructor
of the HttpMessage, RequestLine or ResponseLine you create.
I just fixed the constructor for BasicHttpEntityEnclosingRequest,
which was still expecting HttpVersion instead of ProtocolVersion.
If you encounter other instances of this problem, please report
or fix them.

It should be possible to receive SIP messages with HttpCore.
Just pass BasicSipLineParser to the constructor when creating
the HttpMessageParser in the create{Request|Response}Parser
method of your connection implementation.

Additional contributions like DefaultSip{Client|Server}Connection
and DefaultNSip{Client|Server}Connection would be welcome.
Eventually, we might have a DummySipClient and DummySipGateway
that actually show how this stuff has to be used.

Let me know how/if it works.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpCore] SIP contrib status

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
PS:

> It should be possible to send SIP messages with HttpCore.
> Just make sure to pass SipVersion.SIP_2_0 to the constructor
> of the HttpMessage, RequestLine or ResponseLine you create.

If you are creating a response, you will also want to pass
the EnglishSipReasonPhraseCatalog to BasicHttpResponse.
The DefaultHttpResponseFactory can be instantiated with
the reason phrase catalog as an argument.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Paul,

> I'll take a look soon.... I need to get my head around the SIP
> protocol a little first... I guess the other problem is I can't find
> any other SIP/SOAP systems to interoperate with!

That means you can set new standards ;-)
I would try to let SOAP aside for a while and focus on getting
the SIP part working. Unfortunately, I won't have time to play
around with it myself.

> I'm reading some old documents that propose a special SERVICE verb for
> SIP, but since they are out-of-date I'm assuming this hasn't been
> implemented a lot.

The draft from 2000. Maybe you want to contact the folks
on IETF's "sipping" list? [1] They should be aware of the
current state of things. I'm not sure whether there is a
searchable archive of the mailing list.
But if some commercial vendors actually built products
based on the draft [2], that's what you'll have to stick
to. The products that is, not the draft :-(

cheers,
  Roland

[2] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg01854.html

Re: [HttpCore] SIP contrib status (was: We already provde limited support for SIP, don't we?)

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Roland

I'll take a look soon.... I need to get my head around the SIP
protocol a little first... I guess the other problem is I can't find
any other SIP/SOAP systems to interoperate with!

I'm reading some old documents that propose a special SERVICE verb for
SIP, but since they are out-of-date I'm assuming this hasn't been
implemented a lot.

Paul

On Jan 2, 2008 8:51 AM, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've added some more contrib code for SIP:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/sip/
>
> Note that all this code is completely untested.
> All I can say is that it compiles and doesn't
> generate JavaDoc errors. With that in mind...
>
> It should be possible to send SIP messages with HttpCore.
> Just make sure to pass SipVersion.SIP_2_0 to the constructor
> of the HttpMessage, RequestLine or ResponseLine you create.
> I just fixed the constructor for BasicHttpEntityEnclosingRequest,
> which was still expecting HttpVersion instead of ProtocolVersion.
> If you encounter other instances of this problem, please report
> or fix them.
>
> It should be possible to receive SIP messages with HttpCore.
> Just pass BasicSipLineParser to the constructor when creating
> the HttpMessageParser in the create{Request|Response}Parser
> method of your connection implementation.
>

> Additional contributions like DefaultSip{Client|Server}Connection
> and DefaultNSip{Client|Server}Connection would be welcome.
> Eventually, we might have a DummySipClient and DummySipGateway
> that actually show how this stuff has to be used.
>
> Let me know how/if it works.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Paul Fremantle