Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de> on 2009/01/25 22:41:01 UTC

Problems with extracting text from xls and doc

Hi there,

in my project I wrote text-extractors for multiple file-formats.
For ms-office binary files I am using apache-poi.

For PPT I wrote an own extractor based on DocumentInputStream
which works quite ok.

For XLS I use HSSFEventFactory which causes my testcase to fail
because it only hits events about the first sheet. However
the content of the second sheet is not found.

For DOC I use WordExtractor which causes my testcase to fail
because it does NOT find the content of comments and footnotes.

Can someone help me if I do anything wrong or if this
is an expected behavior or bug of POI?

You will find everything (including test-cases and office files) here:
https://m-m-m.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/m-m-m/trunk/mmm-search/mmm-search-parser/mmm-search-parser-impl-poi/

Thanks a lot
  Jörg