Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@apache.org> on 2018/12/19 22:00:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release Qpid Dispatch Router 1.5.0 (RC1)

Hello All,

         Please cast your vote on this thread to release RC1 as the
official Qpid Dispatch Router version  1.5.0.

RC1 of Qpid Dispatch Router version 1.5.0 can be found here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/dispatch/1.5.0-rc1/

The following features, improvements, and bug fixes are introduced in 1.5.0:

Features -
    DISPATCH-1142 - Edge Router Module - Connection manager to select
the active uplink
    DISPATCH-1143 - Connection-scoped link routes
    DISPATCH-1145 - Edge Router - Implement address proxy component
    DISPATCH-1150 - A request/response message client API for core
    DISPATCH-1154 - Synchronize routed link configurations on edge
router with interior router
    DISPATCH-1156 - Delivery echo-prevention for edge routers
    DISPATCH-1194 - Asynchronous address lookup on attach for Edge to
determine if there are link-route destinations
    DISPATCH-1224 - Waypoints may be attached by external containers
without using auto-links

Improvements -
    DISPATCH-1141 - Add an event API in the router core to more
cleanly support module interactions
    DISPATCH-1147 - Expose address priority
    DISPATCH-1152 - Improvements to the core-endpoint API
    DISPATCH-1159 - Remove the term "uplink" from the edge router -
It's confusing
    DISPATCH-1160 - Add edge address tracking module to interior
routers which will inform edges of mobile address receiver changes
    DISPATCH-1165 - Generate egress-link histograms for more kinds of
connections
    DISPATCH-1178 - Allow unspecified router-id in configuration -
select a random ID
    DISPATCH-1191 - Log files could use some analysis and summary tools
    DISPATCH-1199 - [tools] Log scraper tool should be moved to tools directory
    DISPATCH-1200 - [Test] system_tests_edge_router must import 're'
    DISPATCH-1201 - [tools] Scraper is mishandling transfers with no
AMQP properties
    DISPATCH-1202 - [tools] Scraper README is stale
    DISPATCH-1205 - Allow signed int values >= 0 be parsed as unsigned int
    DISPATCH-1207 - [tools] Scraper does not handle session recreation
over same connection
    DISPATCH-1208 - [tools] Scraper is slow with large number of links
    DISPATCH-1209 - Add and enabling gate to control the
initialization of core modules
    DISPATCH-1210 - [tools] Scraper could find and show unsettled transfers
    DISPATCH-1216 - [tools] Scraper should sort links by source/target address
    DISPATCH-1227 - Add a policy setting to allow or forbid dynamic link routes

Bug fixes -
    DISPATCH-1146 - Core-endpoint can't receive deliveries on
core-initiated links
    DISPATCH-1153 - Router crash when a detach arrives on a link that
is processing deliveries
    DISPATCH-1163 - Coverity issues on master branch
    DISPATCH-1164 - Failing to compile the router when only python3 is installed
    DISPATCH-1170 - System tests failing when executed on a python3 only machine
    DISPATCH-1171 - Interior router crash when edge receiver disconnects
    DISPATCH-1176 - Router crash when connected to network that has >
400 edge routers
    DISPATCH-1181 - handling MAU when local address is not yet defined
can result in wrong treatment
    DISPATCH-1187 - Allow router to be configured to log in UTC time
    DISPATCH-1189 - "log" configuration is missing "module" attribute
    DISPATCH-1196 - Delivery reference count assertion can fail with
released multiframe messages
    DISPATCH-1197 - Released multi-frame deliveries can cause stalling
of inbound links
    DISPATCH-1198 - An early query of
'org.apache.qpid.dispatch.router.node' can crash the router
    DISPATCH-1212 - Incorrect "Dropped Presettled Count " in output of
qdstat -g when receiver drops off
    DISPATCH-1213 - Sender  link  sending  pre-settled multi-frame
deliveries can stall if receiver drops
    DISPATCH-1218 - Assertion hit while running ctests
    DISPATCH-1219 - [tools] Scraper fails to parse AMQP error with no
description
    DISPATCH-1220 - Valgrid errors when running system_tests_edge_router
    DISPATCH-1221 - Syncing a new router to an existing network can fail
    DISPATCH-1222 - coverity static analysis reports several issues
    DISPATCH-1223 - [tools] Scraper miscounts transfers with 'more'
set as unsettled
    DISPATCH-1228 - qdstat -a fails with "KeyError: priority" against
1.4 version of router

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Dispatch Router 1.5.0 (RC1)

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.
+1
* Validated signatures and checksums
* Checked for presence of LICENSE and NOTICE files
* Ran mvn apache-rat:check, no files with missing license headers found.
* Built from source against Proton 0.26.0 in Fedora 27 and ran system
tests. All tests passed

Posted by VERMEULEN Olivier <Ol...@murex.com>.
+1
Ran the Murex test suite with Dispatch-Router 1.5.0, Broker-J 7.0.3 and QPID-JMS 0.39.0

Olivier

[...]

*******************************
This e-mail contains information for the intended recipient only. It may contain proprietary material or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorized to distribute, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment to it. Murex cannot guarantee that it is virus free and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from its use. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify immediately the sender and delete the original email received, any attachments and all copies from your system.

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Dispatch Router 1.5.0 (RC1)

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1 [Note]

* Built with proton master@ffe4915
* Self tests pass on Fedora 27
* Runs local network tests on F27 and F29

[Note]
* One self test fails with Fedora 29. This is an issue with
  the ssl libraries on Fedora 29 as the kit works fine on
  Fedora 27. I do not think this is a regression.

49: Test command: /usr/bin/python "/home/chug/tmp/qdr-1.5.0-rc1/qpid-dispatch-1.5.0/build/tests/run.py" "-x" "unit2" "-v" "system_tests_ssl"
49: Test timeout computed to be: 1500
49: test_ssl_invalid (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_ssl_sasl_client_invalid (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_ssl_sasl_client_valid (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_tls11_only (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... FAIL
49: test_tls11_tls12_only (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_tls12_only (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_tls1_only (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... FAIL
49: test_tls1_tls11_only (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... FAIL
49: test_tls1_tls12_only (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_tls_all (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslClient) ... ok
49: test_connected_tls_sasl_routers (system_tests_ssl.RouterTestSslInterRouter) ... ok

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 at 16:14, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > description
> >     DISPATCH-1220 - Valgrid errors when running system_tests_edge_router
> >     DISPATCH-1221 - Syncing a new router to an existing network can fail
> >     DISPATCH-1222 - coverity static analysis reports several issues
> >     DISPATCH-1223 - [tools] Scraper miscounts transfers with 'more'
> > set as unsettled
> >     DISPATCH-1228 - qdstat -a fails with "KeyError: priority" against
> > 1.4 version of router
> >
> > Thanks

> +1
>
> I checked things over as follows:
> - Verified the signature and checksum files.
> - Checked for LICENCE and NOTICE files being present.
> - Ran "mvn apache-rat:check" to verify headers in the archive.
> - Ran the build (against Proton 0.26.0) and tests
> - Ran the Qpid JMS 0.40.0 RC1 HelloWorld example against the broker.

I am however seeing several cases in Travis CI builds where the tests
appear to hang and so the job is killed after 10mins without output.
Its not clear whether this indicates an issue with the router or just
issues with the tests themselves, such as env performance sensitivity.
It seems it is happening in various tests, though in instances it is
the same test again.

Some examples:
https://travis-ci.org/apache/qpid-dispatch/jobs/470112532 (PR slightly
before the 1.5.0 RC, proton 0.26.0)
https://travis-ci.org/apache/qpid-dispatch/builds/470695929 (PR right
after the RC, proton master)
https://travis-ci.org/apache/qpid-dispatch/builds/470709086 (merge
commit for previous PR, proton master)
https://travis-ci.org/apache/qpid-dispatch/jobs/470925074 (next
commit, no code changes, proton master)

Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Dispatch Router 1.5.0 (RC1)

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 4:55 AM Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Robbie
>
> I meant to cover this and somehow forgot. As I also mentioned on the
> Broker-J 7.1.0 vote, I think it would be nicer to create the first
> X.Y.0 RC from master, then only create a branch later if/when actually
> needed for an X.Y.Z release (or a respin if master doesnt still suit
> that). Branching first in this way means master ends up never having
> any tags to help somewhat deliminate its activity later, and at least
> at the time the version change commits were the only difference
> between it and the branch. Commits must already be cherry picked to do
> a 1.5.1 when that may not have yet been necessary for a period (or
> possibly at all depending on the work+releases occurring later, e.g a
> swift but minimal 1.5.1 from master then 1.6.0).
>

> Starting next release, I will do what Robbie is suggesting above.

Thanks.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.
+1

I used this release, with proton 0.26, in my testing system with 3 interior
routers, one edge router, 1 receiver, 1000 senders, and a sender getting
killed every second.  Nothing blew up.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 19/12/18 22:00, Ganesh Murthy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>           Please cast your vote on this thread to release RC1 as the
> official Qpid Dispatch Router version  1.5.0.
>
> RC1 of Qpid Dispatch Router version 1.5.0 can be found here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/dispatch/1.5.0-rc1/

+1

* verified signature and checksum
* built from source against proton 0.26.0 and ran all tests
* ran appropriate python examples against it
* ran qpid-cpp client-server examples against it
* also ran it through CI for an external system that uses it

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Dispatch Router 1.5.0 (RC1)

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.
On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm going to be the Grinch on this one...
>
> -1
>
> There's a credit stall issue that causes the edge router's link routes to
> not be properly reflected in the interior.
> We're incorrectly computing credit on the management link which can cause
> hangs and is definitely broken.
>
> I've got a fix and opened a PR with it:
>
> https://github.com/apache/qpid-dispatch/pull/431

I am canceling this vote. Will put out a new vote during the new year.

Thanks.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
> [...]

> of inbound links
>     DISPATCH-1198 - An early query of
> 'org.apache.qpid.dispatch.router.node' can crash the router
>     DISPATCH-1212 - Incorrect "Dropped Presettled Count " in output of
> qdstat -g when receiver drops off
>     DISPATCH-1213 - Sender  link  sending  pre-settled multi-frame
> deliveries can stall if receiver drops
>     DISPATCH-1218 - Assertion hit while running ctests
>     DISPATCH-1219 - [tools] Scraper fails to parse AMQP error with no
> description
>     DISPATCH-1220 - Valgrid errors when running system_tests_edge_router
>     DISPATCH-1221 - Syncing a new router to an existing network can fail
>     DISPATCH-1222 - coverity static analysis reports several issues
>     DISPATCH-1223 - [tools] Scraper miscounts transfers with 'more'
> set as unsettled
>     DISPATCH-1228 - qdstat -a fails with "KeyError: priority" against

-K