Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Stanton W Derry <de...@cpt.com> on 2011/10/06 18:58:01 UTC

SIlverlight support

I'm working with a Silverlight application and the communication between
the client and server is a binary payload.  Anyone know of any methods
to deserialize /serialize the Silverlight payload?

Stan

Re: SIlverlight support

Posted by David Luu <ma...@gmail.com>.
If you have developers, etc. who can replicate the encoding of the payload
externally outside of Silverlight (say like with a command line tool, etc.)
and similarly decode the payload received back from server response, then
you can similate the load w/o needing to record payloads via a proxy and
still be dynamic.

I don't know much about Silverlight, so this only works assuming the
original data is not binary, say text based, which is then encoded as binary
by Silverlight at client and decoded at server side. The response is encoded
by server, and decoded at Silverlight client, which you can then see as
text, on the client side in Silverlight app. If that is the scenario, then
what I mention should work.

You can then call the external tools that encode/decode or
serialize/deserialize via the Beanshell or BSF pre/post processors or
sampler as a shell call to the external app, passing it input and extracting
the output and storing back to a variable/file for JMeter to send as
payload, etc. Similarly, run server response through decoder via shell call
then assert response (via BSF sampler, etc.).

Is the Silverlight serialization protocol documented for others to
serialize/deserialize? If so, the external app for JMeter to call can simply
be a .NET based console app, etc.

Re: SIlverlight support

Posted by Bruce Ide <fl...@gmail.com>.
It's not terribly difficult to write a jmeter plugin, but the encoding and
decoding process would have to be documented somewhere. If the silverlight
protocol were documented well enough, I'm sure you could write a jmeter
sampler for it. You'd probably also want to modify the recording controller
to recognize messages in that protocol and use the appropriate sampler for
them.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com

Re: SIlverlight support

Posted by Stanton W Derry <de...@cpt.com>.
Thanks for the reply Philippe.  So far I've not come across any JMeter
plugin's for Silverlight, but have not given up hope.  Correct on the
text protocol and would be a last choice for any testing.

Stan

Re: SIlverlight support

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
Silverlight uses an XML Binary format (MC-NBFX (binary XML) or MC-NBFS
(binary SOAP))  I don't think you can use JMeter without a plugin that can
handle this format to make a realistic test.

You may be able to record with a proxy the payloads and save them to a file
then replay them.
But to make test realistic you will have to variabilize and that will be
difficult with binary payloads.

Another option is to switch to other text protocols of Silverlight if your
application can, but you won't be testing the real target.

Regards
Philippe

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Stanton W Derry <de...@cpt.com> wrote:

> I'm working with a Silverlight application and the communication between
> the client and server is a binary payload.  Anyone know of any methods to
> deserialize /serialize the Silverlight payload?
>
> Stan

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.