Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Rüdiger Gubler (@work)" <rg...@init-ka.de> on 2010/02/04 16:49:55 UTC

maven release plugin and subversion externals

Hello,

we are using svn:externals to add our modules into the parent directory.
We can build, test, deploy ... but we can't create a release. The release is
only
created for the parent (which is only a pom module). There are no tags in
subversion
and no artifacts released to the repository.

In our parent the modules are referenced as

<modules>
    <module>A</module>
    <module>B>/module>
</modules>

We are calling: mvn release.clean release:prepare release:perform
and there are no error messages.

What is going wrong with the releases?

Yours Rüdiger

Re: maven release plugin and subversion externals

Posted by Michael Holopainen <mi...@gmail.com>.
That method will work fine with projects external repos. Just as long as
there are no svn:external links inside the folders itself come from
svn:externals link.

Other important thing to note is that if you are using separeate aggregation
and root pom's in the project. then you must have <relativePath> definition
in you modules' <parent> -tags.

Re: maven release plugin and subversion externals

Posted by Michael Holopainen <mi...@gmail.com>.
Start with reading the Maven release plugin description, specially prepare
and perform action's documentation.

This problem with svn:externals is that IF you are using svn:externals that
link to the project itself the release branch will point to the trunk.

release:prepare phase will
1. crawls the project's pom.xml and change the <version> number to the given
release version
2. commits the changed code to SVN repo using each module's  <scm>
<developerConnection> - value
3. makes an svn copy of the revision it jsut committed to svn to the
<tagbase> (defaulting to "../tags" relative to scm-developerConnection value
4. it then again crawls the project's pom.xml and change the <version>
number to the next SNAPSHOT version

NOW, here is the problem !
Let's assume that you have the externals properties defined to the projects
root folder. Now when the release:prepare makes a copy of that folder in SVN
it is a copy and that copy contains identical properties. So both the folder
in trunk and the copy of the folder in release - branch contain IDENTICAL
dynamic links to the trunk of the modules sub folders which now have the
next -SNAPSHOT version in them. So when you run the release:perform it
"releases" the the next SNAPSHOT, not the release.

This is easy to fix, but only as long as you are using svn:externals _ONLY_
at the root level of the project !
You must do little magic between running release:prepare and relese:perform.
So you ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT run in same mvn command (mvn relese:prepare
release:perform) ! Instead you must:
1. First run the release prepare.
2. The look at the Maven ouput (or run: mvn log . ) to find revision number
of the relase branch version (svn copy).
3. Now armed with the revision number of the release you must checkout the
new release branch to some temp folder (The HEAD not the revision!). Go the
the folder where you just checked out the release branch and edit that
folder's svn properties, "svn propedit svn:externals ." and add the revision
we talked about to each modules link definition "-r123". Then remember to
commit it back to svn !
4. That's it ! Now Go back to the folder you ran the release:prepare at. And
delete this temp folder to where you checked out the release to. Now run
"mvn release:perform" which checks out the release branch to a temp folder
where it build, tests and deploys artifacts to the maven repo. Now that the
links in SVN release branch point to correct revision of the source code
everything works ok.

You do need to do this for every time you make a relase. You can script all
this.

P.S. When I talk about "branch" I mean svn release "tag", I just feel in
this context word "branch" better describes what we are doing (and in svn
there is no tag or branch, just copy).

Re: maven release plugin and subversion externals

Posted by "Rüdiger Gubler (@work)" <rg...@init-ka.de>.

Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> If you do an mvn release:perform ...aren't you asked for the release
> version etc. during the process ?

I'm asked for the release version for all modules but only asked for the new
SNAPSHOT version for the parent module.

Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Why not putting all modules in the folder structure
>
>     Root
>       +--- module1
>       +--- module2
>
> without using svn:externals ?

Thats a company policy. The modules are in different svn repositorys.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> we are referencing the trunk of the modules without a revision
>
> http://svn/repo/module1/trunk  module1
> http://svn/repo/module2/trunk  module2

This brings me to the question:

Why not putting all modules in the folder structure

    Root
      +--- module1
      +--- module2

without using svn:externals ?

I don't see the needs for using externals if you are referencing the
trunk of the modules...?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: maven release plugin and subversion externals

Posted by "Rüdiger Gubler (@work)" <rg...@init-ka.de>.

Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> first: Have you defined scm section in your root pom ?

Yes, each module and the parent has its own scm section.
If we remove the <modules> section from the parent we can
release the modules and the parent in single steps.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi there

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,