Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marco A.G.Pinto" <ma...@mail.telepac.pt> on 2013/06/13 14:15:41 UTC

Copyright + Disclaimer text for my tool

Hello!

I have changed the copyright in the GUI of my tool from GPLv3 to:*
**Chr(169)+" 2013 Marco A.G.Pinto and community contributors.*
*This program is Open Source. Freely distributable under the Apache
License v2.*

(like Andrea suggested)

In the user guide, what shall I write in (this is the old text):
*
2-Copyright
**This program is copyrighted to Marco A.G.Pinto and Community Contributors.

It is OpenSource which means it may be freely copied and modified under
the GPLv3 <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>.**
****
However, the name of the contributors must be kept intact or add more.*

*3-DISCLAIMER*
*This program is supplied *"AS-IS"*.

Use it at your own risk - we have made our best to make sure everything
is well but if something goes wrong don't blame us.

We have the right to change the documentation and the program at any
time without any previous information. Because the program is licensed
free of charge, there is no warranty for the program, to the extent
permitted by applicable law. Except when otherwise stated in writing the
copyright holders and/or other parties provide the program *"AS-IS"*
without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including,
but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and
fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and
performance of the program is with you. Should the program prove
defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or
correction.

In no event unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing
will any copyright holder, or any other party who may modify and/or
redistribute the program as permitted above, be liable to you for
damages, including any general, special, incidental or consequential
damages arising out of the use or inability to use the program
(including but not limited to loss of data or data being rendered
inaccurate or losses sustained by you or third parties or a failure of
the program to operate with any other programs), even if such holder or
other party has been advised of the possibility of such damages.*

PS->I have asked to a person to make a better logo for the tool.

PS->I have added a bit of the speller open. It opens the .DIC and .AFF
        and places the text on the window. I still don't know how the .AFF
        works, but soon it will be possible to save them back to hdd and
        make changes.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
         -----------------------

Re: Copyright + Disclaimer text for my tool

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marco A.G.Pinto wrote:
> I have changed the copyright in the GUI of my tool from GPLv3 to:*
> **Chr(169)+" 2013 Marco A.G.Pinto and community contributors.*
> *This program is Open Source. Freely distributable under the Apache
> License v2.*
> (like Andrea suggested)

To be precise: the license choice depends only of you. This particular
license is the OpenOffice license and will greatly simplify things
if/when there is a deeper integration of your tool in OpenOffice.

> In the user guide, what shall I write in (this is the old text):
> *
> 2-Copyright

We don't provide legal advice on public lists, so don't take this as
official advice... The license has an appendix that you can simply copy
and paste, nothing more. See it at
(and include the license in the package you distribute, as a file named
LICENSE).

> *3-DISCLAIMER*
> *This program is supplied *"AS-IS"*.

This is covered by the license already.

> PS->I have asked to a person to make a better logo for the tool.

Good! A more creative logo won't need to reuse other logos...

> PS->I have added a bit of the speller open. It opens the .DIC and .AFF
> and places the text on the window. I still don't know how the .AFF
> works, but soon it will be possible to save them back to hdd and
> make changes.

If you need any technical information, ask here (or, actually, refer to
the Hunspell documentation). You may want to take a look at the
munch/unmunch tools in Hunspell: they take care of forming derivative
words (i.e., taking base words in the DIC file and form derivatives
using the rules from the AFF file). I honestly don't know what a
convenient interface would be for adding words. I believe the best
approach would be to ask the user to add a base word and let him preview
all derivatives according to each rule, until he finds which rule must
be applied to that word. Then save the base word in the DIC file,
together with the selected rule. This would need to be polished, but is
a much better approach than simply adding the word verbatim and missing
all derivatives.

Regards,
   Andrea.