Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> on 2005/12/31 18:42:47 UTC

SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Greetings;

This morning I'm going thru my JunqueMail folder and find that about a
dozen msgs to the OpenOffice list, 5 or 6 to the fedeora list, and one
to the gimp-print-devel list were flaged and sorted as *****SPAN*****.
With one exception, all were in english.

Using rulesdujour here, and pyzor too along with SA3.10.  Has anyone
else had a spate of this today?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are:

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> On Sunday 01 January 2006 13:35, Stanislaw Halik wrote:
>>Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> ATM, I have a "grep -R HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 *" running from /
>>> because that rule isn't present in any of the
>>> .spamassassin(/rulesdujour) or /etc/mail/spamassassin directories.
>>
>>it's in $PREFIX/share/spamassassin.
>>
>>regards,
>
> And you are likewise correct.  Now I'm beginning to wonder, just where
> are _the definitive_ rulesets for SA?  They seem to be scattered
> around rather liberally, almost like a friggin viri...  I'd make a
> remark about cows and flat rocks, but I suspect there aren't too many
> farmer experienced folks reading this.

Stock rules are always in the address Stanislaw cited. The variable
rules go into the /etc/<stuff>/spamassassin directory with the <stuff>
usually expanding the directory to /etc/mail/spamassassin. Sometimes
it is blank, though.

{^_^}

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Stanislaw Halik <we...@tehran.lain.pl>.
Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Now I'm beginning to wonder, just where are _the definitive_ rulesets
> for SA?  They seem to be scattered around rather liberally, almost
> like a friggin viri...

ones in $PREFIX/share/spamassassin are the default 'safe' rulesets from
SA distribution. these in $PREFIX/etc/mail/spamassassina are the
optional ones, added by you or some script.

--
Stanisław Halik, http://tehran.lain.pl

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Sunday 01 January 2006 13:35, Stanislaw Halik wrote:
>Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> ATM, I have a "grep -R HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 *" running from /
>> because that rule isn't present in any of the
>> .spamassassin(/rulesdujour) or /etc/mail/spamassassin directories.
>
>it's in $PREFIX/share/spamassassin.
>
>regards,

And you are likewise correct.  Now I'm beginning to wonder, just where
are _the definitive_ rulesets for SA?  They seem to be scattered
around rather liberally, almost like a friggin viri...  I'd make a
remark about cows and flat rocks, but I suspect there aren't too many
farmer experienced folks reading this.

One of the advantages of being an old fart :-)

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> On Monday 02 January 2006 23:22, jdow wrote:
>>From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

>>> Humm, AFAIK, fetchmail gets it from vz, writing it
>>> to /var/spool/mail/gene
>>> and kmail takes it from there.  And I'm just using what the servers
>>> support, which for vz is 99.9% of zip, plain text for everything.
>>
>>With the fragment you posted fetchmail hands it off to whatever is
>>your sendmail tool on your system. That runs and places the mail in
>>your inbox. I didn't see a stanza like the following in your
>> fetchmailrc piece you posted: defaults mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d
>> gene"
>>
>>So precisely what runs spamassassin there?
>>
>>{^_^}
>
> kmail, by pipeing it thru via a filter setting of Pipe Through, using
> spamc -u gene
>
> spamd of course is from rc3.d linkage.

That should work. When you cut and pasted the headers for your problem
message perhaps kmail had done some "cleanup."
{^_^}

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

Posted by Craig White <cr...@azapple.com>.
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 22:57 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >----
> >to my knowledge, fetchmail doesn't remove any headers at all.
> > Procmail may be doing it or your MTA, depending upon how you are
> > handling it.
> >
> Humm, AFAIK, fetchmail gets it from vz, writing it
> to /var/spool/mail/gene
----
perhaps you are using a customized configuration or perhaps you don't
know what you are talking about...I don't know.

man fetchmail...the first sentence...
fetchmail  is a mail-retrieval and forwarding utility; it fetches mail
from remote mailservers and forwards it to your local (client) machine’s
delivery system.

your local machine's delivery system is AFAIK, your MTA.

I am guessing that you have kmail retrive it either directly
from /var/spool/mail/gene or using a pop3 or IMAP (I hope) connection.
----
> and kmail takes it from there.  And I'm just using what the servers
> support, which for vz is 99.9% of zip, plain text for everything.
>
> Gmail's pop3 server at least uses ssl encryption for everything.  OTOH,
> I have my gmail prefs set to fwd it to vz, which is probably not the
> 'schmardtest' thing to do.  I should cancel that, and let fetchmail
> get it direct.
>
> >after a few years of using fetchmail with 'proto imap' or 'proto
> >auto' (which used imap protocol), I ended up switching to 'proto
> > pop3' because the email 'accepted' by my isp included things like
> > NUL characters in the headers which caused fetchmail to gag on the
> > mail. When I switched to 'proto pop3' - the fetchmail politely
> > handed the email off to my MTA (postfix) and expunged it from my ISP
> > and thus, it ended up being a bit tidier. YMMV
>
> Well, my reasons for using fetchmail is that its configuration is
> pretty brain dead simple.  And kmail has this habit of forgetting to
> hit the network & fetch the mail itself if its config isn't refreshed
> about 2x a week.  Your basic old dogs (me at 71) and new tricks
> story...
----
I don't use kmail very often and when I do, it's via IMAP from my local
server and it seems to work without fail. In fact, if Kmail wasn't
reliable in retrieving email via POP3 or IMAP day in / day out, it would
be fixed as those protocols are old enough, stable enough that I would
expect any end user mail program to be sufficient to retrieve mail
without resetting configurations at all.

Now - if I recall correctly, you use stuff as root which is definitely
not the recommended methodology and can be problematic with things like
KDE. I don't do root logins.

Craig

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
Gene Heskett a écrit :
> Well, I've now defined it to be 2.8 in local.cf, and thats working
> better but I feel I may have to reduce it another few tenths.
>
> One of the problems I think I've detected is that fetchmail isn't doing
> a 100% verbatum suck from vz, but seems to be deleting some of the
> history near the top of the header, but how much is unk.

no, it doesn't, unless you can prove it. most probably your MUA (kmail)
does.

 I could copy
> the mailfile off before kmail grabs it and zeros out the mailfile and
> then compare messages to see exactly whats missing.  That would define
> where the loss is better than my SWAG's.  I'll do that tomorrow.

you'll probably find it easier to let kmail get the mail from the
"original" server instead of using fetchmail this way. If kmail has
problems, please report them to the kmail developpers.

an alternative setup is to let fetchmail to talk to an MTA (postfix,
qmail, sendmail, exim). This will allow you to run a "common setup".
This is what I am using for some of my accounts (including this one).
Unfortunately, fetchmail adds more problems than "solutions". so I'm
moving away slowly.

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Craig White <cr...@azapple.com>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> On Sunday 01 January 2006 00:56, jdow wrote:
>>From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

>>> Damn, ancient fingers don't reliably type what I think.  Fedeora is
>>> of course fedora, and SPAN=SPAM.
>>
>>And rules=?
>>
>>I'm still batting 999 on spam and ham here. (Sadly had a spam, one
>> line message, no url or any other "address", and four lines if
>> silliness quotes got through. No hams marked as spam. But with the
>> setup you've described in the past, "I ain't surprised, Gene ol'
>> buddy."
>
> Aww, common Joanne, I can't be all bad, why I even rode a Harley once.
> But usually rice burners, most of them brought me home from wherever
> I'd ridden them.  Except for one KZ-750, it ALWAYS came home in a
> pickup truck, so my name only lasted about a year on the title to that
> one.

{^_-}

Posted by Stanislaw Halik <we...@tehran.lain.pl>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Sunday 01 January 2006 00:56, jdow wrote:
>From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>
>
>> On Saturday 31 December 2005 12:42, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>Greetings;
>>>
>>>This morning I'm going thru my JunqueMail folder and find that
>>> about a dozen msgs to the OpenOffice list, 5 or 6 to the fedeora
>>> list, and one to the gimp-print-devel list were flaged and sorted
>>> as *****SPAN*****. With one exception, all were in english.
>>
>> Damn, ancient fingers don't reliably type what I think.  Fedeora is
>> of course fedora, and SPAN=SPAM.
>
>And rules=?
>
>I'm still batting 999 on spam and ham here. (Sadly had a spam, one
> line message, no url or any other "address", and four lines if
> silliness quotes got through. No hams marked as spam. But with the
> setup you've described in the past, "I ain't surprised, Gene ol'
> buddy."

Aww, common Joanne, I can't be all bad, why I even rode a Harley once.
But usually rice burners, most of them brought me home from wherever
I'd ridden them.  Except for one KZ-750, it ALWAYS came home in a
pickup truck, so my name only lasted about a year on the title to that
one.

Anyway, the rule thats applying the 3.8 score is HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2.

ATM, I have a "grep -R HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 *" running from / because
that rule isn't present in any of the .spamassassin(/rulesdujour)
or /etc/mail/spamassassin directories.  If I can reduce that by about
1.2, that would fix the majority of the FP's here.  That rule even
grabbed a message from a close friend just 10 miles away last nite
cause he'd also stuck a bunch of !!! on the end of a happy new year
subject line.

I expect that grep to take a few hours, over 300+GB of drives live off
of /, but there isn't any way to tell grep to ignore /amandatapes,
which is 180GB of that.  Not that I know of anyway.  You'll instruct
me I expect if there is...

I hope you & yours had a merry Christmas, and a suitably blurry new
year.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:30, mouss wrote:
>Gene Heskett a écrit :
>> -------------
>> From jean-ooo@taming-openoffice-org.com  Sat Dec 31 23:16:57 2005
>>         by coyote.coyote.den (8.12.11/8.12.10) with ESMTP id
>> k014Gv7g021793
>>         for <ge...@localhost>; Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:16:57 -0500
>
>so this is the "after fetchmail" header

>>         by localhost with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.5.5)
>>         for gene@localhost (single-drop); Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:16:57
>> -0500 (EST)
>
>and this is the fetchmail header.
>
>- you should add 206.46.232.10 to your trusted_networks
>- SA will recognize this as a fetchmail hop, and will "reinitialize"
> its received parsing (This is my understanding, but I may be wrong.
> But this is what I understand from -D output).

Yes, I put it into local.cf as 206.46.232/24 and I believe it has
helped.  Time will tell & its only been about 20 hrs so far, during
which I built and rebooted to 2.6.15.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Monday 02 January 2006 23:16, jdow wrote:
>From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

>>>If some of the header is being removed, then that might be a
>>> problem. That could definitely trigger the FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD rule
>>> if the received header listing the Yahoo! server was removed.
>>
>> In that event, how do I go about telling fetchmail that the
>> mailfile it generates in /var/spool/mail/gene is to be a verbatum
>> copy of what was sucked in the vz's server.  My fetchmailrc is
>> comparatively clean, with no options that I know about set that
>> would encourage the shrunken headers.  There are no OPTIONS
>> currently defined.
>
>Fetchmail is verbatim in the sense needed. Does fetchmail go through
>the tool that fires off SpamAssassin or is this done up in KMail as
>it reads? If so KMail may have sanitized off headers in much the same
>way as Outlook or Exchange. This makes KMail pretty useless IMAO if
>this is what they do.
>
>{^_^}

Nope, its two seperate processes, Joanne. Fetchmail is run from
rc.local, and is totally independant of kmail.  Where I made that
statement was that I was compareing an old message that kmail had
sucked directly, to the contents of the /var/spool/mail/gene file.
Kmail in turn, and completely asynchronously, grabs and processes
the /var/spool/mail/gene file and sorts it a bit, then calls
spamassasin on what I haven't sorted out, then looks at the output of
the spamassassin pipe when its done and finishes the sorting.

But it was obviously two seperate messages, hence the ambiguity from
that alone.  Over the next few days I will stop the auto fwd to vz
from gmail so that I can set the fetchmail output to other than "as
gene" & then send myself a message at the gmail address.  As soon as
it comes back, copy it to a tmp file, wait for kmail to pick it up,
and then compare the contents of the tmp file with the message shown
me by kmail.  Then stop the fetchmail scan of gmail, send another
message and look at it with the web interface before I tell kmail to
suck it directly.  Somewhere in there, I hope to be able to "red dot"
the perp, if indeed there is one.  I could very well be barking at the
moon and chaseing rabbits, but hopefully I'll also be a little smarter
too.

Right now I'm watching GA show the home team how its done. WV31-GA27,
but GA has closed the door on us after the first 15 minutes.
Seriously slammed it, and our guys are fumbling the ball away 4 times
now.  Later, it looks like maybe we might pull one off, WV38-GA35,
1:45 to go with WV in possession. 1:10 left, new 1st down by WV.  Rich
called for a fake punt and pulled it off very well. And with about 25
secs to go, GA walked out on the field to make it official, WV has won
the Sugar Bowl!

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Gene Heskett wrote:

> In that event, how do I go about telling fetchmail that the mailfile it
> generates in /var/spool/mail/gene is to be a verbatum copy of what was
> sucked in the vz's server.  My fetchmailrc is comparatively clean,
> with no options that I know about set that would encourage the
> shrunken headers.  There are no OPTIONS currently defined.
>
> -------------sanitized of course-----------
> poll incoming.verizon.net with proto pop3
>         user XXXXXXX with password YYYYYYYY is gene
> #        options OPTIONS
> poll pop.gmail.com with proto pop3
>         user ZZZZZZZZZZ with password YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is gene
>         options ssl
> # end of file
>
> Or is there some option I need to set to make it do verbatum sucks?

I think you should confirm that it is fetchmail that is removing
headers.  I use fetchmail myself and haven't had any problems.

In the manual page there is an --invisible option that keeps fetchmail
from inserting its own received header.  You could try that.

--
Good day, eh.
Chris

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Craig White <cr...@azapple.com>.
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 20:16 -0800, jdow wrote:
> From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> Fetchmail is verbatim in the sense needed. Does fetchmail go through
> the tool that fires off SpamAssassin or is this done up in KMail as
> it reads? If so KMail may have sanitized off headers in much the same
> way as Outlook or Exchange. This makes KMail pretty useless IMAO if
> this is what they do.
----
I can find a lot to criticize about Outlook but I've not ever seen
Outlook remove header information - but I don't have any Exchange Server
installations which might be why.

In Gene's case, he's probably got Kmail fetching directly
from /var/spool/mail/gene without any pop3/imap server and thus not
getting any additional header information and then the Kmail filtering
is invoking spamassassin. I can't think of any reason not to do it that
way, unless of course, he is doing all this as root.

Craig

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 31 December 2005 20:21, Chris Purves wrote:
>On Sun, January 1, 2006 3:28 am, Gene Heskett said:
>>>
>>>Would help if you let us know what rules got hit.
>>
>> No doubt Rick, but I ran them thru learn-ham and manualy sorted
>> them to the right folders, but lemme see if I can find one of them
>> in the OOo list, brb.  Yeah, here's a snip:

>>  From: Leah Lefler <lj...@yahoo.com>
>>  To: users@openoffice.org
>>  Subject: *****SPAM***** [users] question about Base
>>  Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:04:04 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> Content analysis details:   (5.7 points, 5.0 required)
>>
>>  pts rule name              description
>> ---- ----------------------
>>  3.8 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2   Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname
>> (IP addr
>>                             2)
>>  1.8 FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD      'From' yahoo.com does not match
>> 'Received' headers
>> -0.2 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 20
>> to 40%
>>                             [score: 0.3369]
>>  0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     RBL: Envelope sender in
>> abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
>
>Is that the entire header?  You're missing a bunch of "Received"
> lines.

Humm, that was a highlight & paste, with the src file 'show all
headers' on in kmail-1.7.  I don't usually look at even that much
header as they take up way too much screen real estate.  I run x at
1600x1200 here, but also use 18 to 20 point fonts.  Silky smooth fonts
that way.

FWIW, fetchmail sucks it and dumps it to /var/spool/mail/gene, & kmail
sucks it from there.  This is due to a bug in the kmail suck from
servers code of quite long duration, 3 or 4 years now.  Humm, headers
do seem to be getting lost!

I just catted the last fetchmail run and there are headers above those
IN THIS FILE:
-------------
From jean-ooo@taming-openoffice-org.com  Sat Dec 31 23:16:57 2005

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
Gene Heskett a écrit :
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ----------------------
>  3.8 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2   Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP
> addr
>                             2)
>  1.8 FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD      'From' yahoo.com does not match 'Received'
> headers
> -0.2 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 20 to
> 40%
>                             [score: 0.3369]
>  0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     RBL: Envelope sender in
> abuse.rfc-ignorant.org

- make sure your trusted networks are set correctly. This should be
manually set. since you're using fetchmail, include your MSP IP in the
trusted_networks (not your ISP MSA). otherwise, SA will try to guess,
which is a bug IMHO (the fix being simple: require that people set their
trusted net).

- which headers match the HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 and FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD?

Re: SA suddenly giving lots of FP's?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

 From: Leah Lefler <lj...@yahoo.com>
 To: users@openoffice.org
 Subject: *****SPAM***** [users] question about Base
 Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:04:04 -0800 (PST)

Spam detection software, running on the system "coyote.coyote.den", has
has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or
label

Content preview:  Hello, Why does Open Office not support Microsoft
Access
  files? If it does, how can I make it work? Thanks. Leah [...]

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 3.8 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2   Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP
addr
                            2)
 1.8 FORGED_YAHOO_RCVD      'From' yahoo.com does not match 'Received'
headers
-0.2 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 20 to
40%
                            [score: 0.3369]
 0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     RBL: Envelope sender in
abuse.rfc-ignorant.org

The original message was not completely plain text, and may be unsafe
open with some email clients; in particular, it may contain a virus,
or confirm that your address can receive spam.  If you wish to view
it, it may be safer to save it to a file and open it with an editor.
So the total score isn't a lot over 5.

Ideas?

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.