Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org> on 2005/05/17 13:29:47 UTC

About unknow libraries within lib/core

Hi,
I am cleaning up the libraries for the next release, and I would like to
know if we need these libraries:

> castor-0.9.5.3-xml.jar

Castor is for xsp maybe?, I thought that we did not want to put xsp
support on forrest. Do we need it?

> nekodtd-0.1.11.jar
> nekopull-0.2.4.jar
> xerces-xniWriter.jar

I think that these ones are for converting dtd ---> xdocs. But I would
like to double check with you guys...

Cheers,
cheche

Re: About unknow libraries within lib/core

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Mar, 17 de Mayo de 2005, 6:29, Juan Jose Pablos dijo:
> Hi,
> I am cleaning up the libraries for the next release, and I would like to
> know if we need these libraries:
>
>> castor-0.9.5.3-xml.jar
>
> Castor is for xsp maybe?, I thought that we did not want to put xsp
> support on forrest. Do we need it?

I guess, no. Feel free to remove it.

>> nekodtd-0.1.11.jar
>> nekopull-0.2.4.jar
>> xerces-xniWriter.jar

Dunno about why we need this.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: About unknow libraries within lib/core

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>> For the standard
>> distribution, you need only those libraries that are neede, if you want
>> to custom forrest for other purposed, then "cp
>> $COCOON_HOME/lib/optional/castor*.jar $FORREST_HOME/lib/core" is not a
>> bit problem ¿right?
>

> I'm -1 on that method of extension, we should allow projects to have a
> lib directory. Extension jars go in there under the users control.

That was just an example. customatize per-installation or per project is
up to the sysadmin on that box... The point is that both are allow

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>

>>How do we know that users are not taking advantage of those
>>jars for other purposes?
>>

> Well, we do not know that, I guess that testing. We only can claim
> support for funcionality that is documented. And xsp is not documented
> as feature in our documentation, so I think that it should not been there.
>
> We had a discussion about including libraries, and I was the one that
> support adding them on forrest, so people could use them out of the box.
>  But now I see that from the other point of view.

I'm +0 (meaning I could be convinced otherwise by a goood argument) for
moving them out to the plugins. One of the goals of plugins is to
streamline the core Forrest distribution.

> For the standard
> distribution, you need only those libraries that are neede, if you want
> to custom forrest for other purposed, then "cp
> $COCOON_HOME/lib/optional/castor*.jar $FORREST_HOME/lib/core" is not a
> bit problem ¿right?

I'm -1 on that method of extension, we should allow projects to have a
lib directory. Extension jars go in there under the users control.

Ross

Re: About unknow libraries within lib/core

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> How do we know that users are not taking advantage of those
> jars for other purposes?

Well, we do not know that, I guess that testing. We only can claim
support for funcionality that is documented. And xsp is not documented
as feature in our documentation, so I think that it should not been there.

We had a discussion about including libraries, and I was the one that
support adding them on forrest, so people could use them out of the box.
 But now I see that from the other point of view.  For the standard
distribution, you need only those libraries that are neede, if you want
to custom forrest for other purposed, then "cp
$COCOON_HOME/lib/optional/castor*.jar $FORREST_HOME/lib/core" is not a
bit problem ¿right?

> I notice that you moved Chaperon jar too. It too can
> be used for far more than the wiki capabilities.

I know, but within forrest we are only using for wiki, if someone want
it for more, it can be copy that library back.

Sorry for the noise, I am trying to tidy up where our libraries come
from, so upgrade from cocoon is easier..

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Hi,
> I am cleaning up the libraries for the next release, and I would like to
> know if we need these libraries:
>
> > castor-0.9.5.3-xml.jar
>
> Castor is for xsp maybe?, I thought that we did not want to put xsp
> support on forrest. Do we need it?
>
> > nekodtd-0.1.11.jar
> > nekopull-0.2.4.jar
> > xerces-xniWriter.jar
>
> I think that these ones are for converting dtd ---> xdocs. But I would
> like to double check with you guys...

How do we know that users are not taking advantage of those
jars for other purposes?

I notice that you moved Chaperon jar too. It too can
be used for far more than the wiki capabilities.

--David