Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Williamson, Nick" <ni...@mentor.com> on 2008/01/31 12:50:21 UTC

Error 00200

Hi all,

I'm running 10.3 and I get this message several times in the Derby log
file when my Java app deletes a row from a table that is the top table
in a fairly extensive multi-level "ON DELETE CASCADE" foreign key
hierarchy:

"No row was found for FETCH, UPDATE or DELETE; or the result of a query
is an empty table."

I assume that Derby is just telling me that, in the course of deleting
the row from the parent table, several of the child tables didn't
contain any rows that should be deleted as a result. What has surprised
me is that I couldn't reproduce the error in a very simple test case. I
created a parent table and a child table, and I linked them together by
means of a CASCADE DELETE FK on the child table. When I added a row to
the parent table, committed, deleted it and committed, Derby didn't give
me the message despite there being no matching rows in the child table.

So... I guess there's more to this than meets the eye, and there must be
a certain set of circumstances that cause this error to occur. Can
anyone advise me what the circumstances are?

TIA
Nick