Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Douglas Hurbon <do...@mail.cuny.edu> on 2006/06/06 16:47:20 UTC

1.2 how-to's [was: Outside Perspective on 1.2 vs 1.4 divergent efforts]

On Jun 6, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Michael Wechner wrote:

>> All of my development has been with 1.2 (yes I'm in a world with
>> deadlines) -- I've even redone a number of 1.4 improvements:
>> custom meta data, tree publishing, etc.  And since 1.2 was pretty
>> much described as a dead end (by definition, it should be),
>
> I don't think it's dead and I don't think it should be. Yes, it's
> backwards compatible, but that doesn't mean it's dead.
>> I never even considered contributing anything I did to 1.2 or
>> thought it necessary to stay in synch with some ongoing 1.2
>> development.
>
> would you if you wouldn't have considered it dead?

That may have been my mistake, thinking 1.2 dead, or rather, that it
had become 1.4.  My development efforts went toward implementing my
own version of custom meta-data, and "tree" based mass-publishing,
both of which are already in 1.4, correct?  I thought alternate
versions of what had already been developed could even be counter
productive, so I assumed there'd be no point contributing them and
just hacked the crap out of a bunch of classes and interfaces to get
what I wanted.  Believe me I'd have rather started with those two
modifications in place, and spent my time creating some new fun stuff
for 1.4.

If you're still after 1.2 stuff, I can probably offer some user-based
how-to's for:

	wysywig redirects
	multiple, tree-based hierarchical stylesheets (you did mention I
might want add this to the wiki, but I never did)
	cincluded module system (one pub serves editable xml chunks to other
pubs, and javascript to non-lenya pages)

I could even do a how-to on hacking custom meta-data in 1.2 -- my
notes are pretty extensive.

Let me know if any of it would be useful and I'll try to get them
onto the wiki.

What I'm really interested in 1.4 is integration with webdav--I'll be
very interested in helping to make that work if it isn't in the 1.4
release.

Thanks to all of you for all your work.  I've certainly benefited
from it.

-doug