Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/06 19:28:30 UTC

Re: [NOTICE/DISCUSS] Making proton-j and proton-c more independent

On 18 December 2016 at 23:17, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2016 at 18:11, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As an update on this, I raised
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13080 earlier in the week,
>>> and we now have a new repo in place for proton-j,
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=qpid-proton-j.git
>>>
>>> The GitHub mirror should go live during the next 24hrs, theres a daily
>>> sync point for the process.
>>

>> The GitHub mirror is now also in place:
>> https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton-j
>>
>> I didn't get a chance to start scrubbing things yet, but I may get
>> bored during my holidays...which start right about now :)
>>
>> Robbie
>
> I decided not to leave this hanging entirely until the new year and so
> made an initial stab at carving proton-j out on its own and then
> removing Messenger. It still needs more cleanup before I land it in
> the new year but it is well on the way, current state is viewable at
> https://github.com/gemmellr/qpid-proton-j/tree/independent-proton-j
> for anyone wanting to check it out before that. I haven't looked at
> the reverse case of removing proton-j from the original repo, I will
> leave that until after the holidays are over.
>
> Robbie

I've been working on the reverse case of removing proton-j from the
original qpid-proton repo now that its new repo has been created.

The current state is viewable on this branch:
https://github.com/gemmellr/qpid-proton/tree/independent-proton-c

Or as a diff from the current master, look at
https://github.com/gemmellr/qpid-proton/compare/master...gemmellr:independent-proton-c

I think this side of things is about ready to go, I plan to land it on
master next week.

Robbie

Re: [NOTICE/DISCUSS] Making proton-j and proton-c more independent

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10 January 2017 at 17:40, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 January 2017 at 15:27, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Great, thanks for looking it over.
>>
>> I've made some more changes, and pushed things to master. I updated
>> the ASF CI job configs earlier, and the Travis / Appveyor jobs seem
>> happy following the change but shout if you spot issues. The proton-c
>> job on the ASF CI is not happy, but that seems unrelated, and on
>> checking it wasnt happy before the change either.
>>
>> Robbie
>
> I've made an initial set of changes on proton-j master (reminder, now
> at https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid-proton-j.git) that
> removes the proton-c and bindings from the repo, and removes
> Messenger. I'ts usable now, snapshots are being publsihed etc, but
> there is still some reorg and cleanup I would like for to do on the
> proton-j side, it will need some work on release artifacts, and I'll
> need to get new CI jobs set up for Travis / Appveyor, among other
> things. I'll also need to prep updates for the website scripts etc so
> we can release things going forward, which as per my recent 'Proton
> 0.16.1 vs 0.17.0' posting I would like to be quite soon.
>
> Robbie

There is still some final cleanup to do on the proton-j side, and I
need to work on updates for the website, but I've been making progress
on this and expect to be in a position to release both later this
week.

I've updated the existing CI jobs, got some integration issues with
the repo fixed up, worked up some initial release artifacts, and had
new jobs created for TravisCI and Appveyor which can be found at:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/qpid-proton-j/
https://travis-ci.org/apache/qpid-proton-j

Robbie

Re: [NOTICE/DISCUSS] Making proton-j and proton-c more independent

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2017-01-06 at 19:28 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> On 18 December 2016 at 23:17, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.co
> m> wrote:
> > On 16 December 2016 at 18:11, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.
> > com> wrote:

> > > The GitHub mirror is now also in place:
> > > https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton-j
> > >
> > > I didn't get a chance to start scrubbing things yet, but I may
> > > get
> > > bored during my holidays...which start right about now :)
> > >
> > > Robbie
> >
> > I decided not to leave this hanging entirely until the new year and
> > so
> > made an initial stab at carving proton-j out on its own and then
> > removing Messenger. It still needs more cleanup before I land it in
> > the new year but it is well on the way, current state is viewable
> > at
> > https://github.com/gemmellr/qpid-proton-j/tree/independent-proton-j
> > for anyone wanting to check it out before that. I haven't looked at
> > the reverse case of removing proton-j from the original repo, I
> > will
> > leave that until after the holidays are over.
> >
> > Robbie
>
> I've been working on the reverse case of removing proton-j from the
> original qpid-proton repo now that its new repo has been created.
>
> The current state is viewable on this branch:
> https://github.com/gemmellr/qpid-proton/tree/independent-proton-c
>
> Or as a diff from the current master, look at
> https://github.com/gemmellr/qpid-proton/compare/master...gemmellr:ind
> ependent-proton-c
>
> I think this side of things is about ready to go, I plan to land it
> on
> master next week.

From the pov of changes to the proton-c build system this looks right -