Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by Tim Hamer <ti...@asolutions.com> on 2007/05/14 15:49:44 UTC

Need help invoking complex web services

Hi,

We're trying to create a Java application capable of consuming any web service dynamically given only the WSDL. The only problem is that we can't figure out how to invoke a service that takes a complex type as a parameter without first generating code. Is it possible to use WSIF to do such an invocation without generating code, and if so, could someone please send us some hint on how to do so?

thanks,
Tim

Re: Need help invoking complex web services

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Tim Hamer wrote:
> We're trying to create a Java application capable of consuming any web service dynamically given only the WSDL. The only problem is that we can't figure out how to invoke a service that takes a complex type as a parameter without first generating code. Is it possible to use WSIF to do such an invocation without generating code, and if so, could someone please send us some hint on how to do so?

Tim,

it will depend on what you want to do with service/WSDL. typically one
generates UI based on WSDL and that requires to do some XML schemas
parsing to create a form to enter values and create XML document
instance that is then sent using WSIF - for one example how it can be
done check Xydra (so2urce code in CVS working but no longer supported).

best,

alek

RE: Need help invoking complex web services

Posted by Velidanda Srinivas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.
Tried providing type mapping for the complex type, but using WSIF
the input and output complex type classes should already be existing at client.

I tried using WSIF to pass complex types as input and receive complex
type output from web service, it requires the complex type classes at
client side before calling the web service.

Now I am working with XSUL libraries, XSUL also has some issues while
sending and receiving the complex types. I am trying to invoke a web service
deployed/published using Xfire/Spring configuration.

Please let me know if someone succeeded without having the input and output complex
type classes prebuilt before calling the web service, but
created the in and out objects on the fly dynamically.

Thanks & Regards,
Srinivas Velidanda.

Posted by Jeff Greif <je...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

Posted by "Jackson, Douglas" <dj...@ugs.com>.
Hi!
Hi!
I am using WSIF in a BPEL Engine I wrote to do dynamic invocations of
web services.  If you are not familiar with BPEL, it reads wsdl and xsd
files and uses those to call the web services described therein.  WSIF
works well for our application.
I think when they say that some work may need to be done to handle all
complex types they are referring to parts of the schema definition that
most people do not use.  Even JAXB did not support all of the schema
definition until 2.0.
-Doug.

Posted by Jeff Greif <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by velidandas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.

Posted by Jeff Greif <je...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Alek is correct.  You have to do some additional work to make use
of WSIF dynamic invocation on complex types, but it can be done.

My company has been using WSIF as infrastructure for a user-interface
provider for web services for several years, using dynamic invocation
based on the WSDL and the schemas it references.  A wide variety of
complex types (but not all) are handled. WSIF is a small but significant
piece of a larger system, which gathers the input to the web services,
invokes the services, presents the output, and allows the data from the
outputs to be used to construct inputs to other services.   The
automatically-generated user interfaces can be delivered on the desktop
or various mobile devices, and customized and beautified with additional
metadata (beyond the schemas) to set up the user-driven chaining of the
services and present the WS inputs and outputs in a way more suitable
for end users.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Greif <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Greif <je...@gmail.com>.
WSIF provides two things, analysis of the wsdl and xml schemas to which
it refers, and the ability to invoke a web service given the needed
input data and return the result(s).

Clearly, your application has to provide the input and do something with
the output.  To put the input in the correct form, something that
complies with the schema types in the wsdl for the input message must be
produced.  Similarly, the output must be deserialized into something the
application can use.

When you are using dynamic invocation, that is, if the application has
no compile-time knowledge of the datatypes and does not want to generate
and compile classes representing these on the fly, it will probably have
to work with some representation close to the XML that is transmitted,
for example, with Strings and DOM Elements.  It must use the analysis of
the wsdl and schemas to determine what must be created for the input,
and build it (for example, using DOM interfaces).  When the output is
returned, it could similarly be deserialized to DOM Elements.  The
application must then do whatever it needs to with these representations
of output instances of types defined in the schemas.

For example, in an application that provides a user interface, the type
declarations in the schema will be the guide to constructing forms to
either gather input from the user or display output to the user.  The
input entered into the form is assembled into the needed XML to pass as
parameters to the service, and the output of the service is filled into
the output form according to the schema.

Whatever the representation used by the application, it must provide
TypeMappings to go to and from that representation to the XML Schema
types that are sent via the transport method of the service invocation.
Depending upon which WSIF provider is used, some provider-specific
serialization and deserialization classes may also be needed.

Jeff

Posted by velidandas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.

Posted by velidandas <sr...@singularity.co.uk>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.