Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Cédric Mailleux <ce...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/13 15:55:20 UTC

Performance issue with Oracle Jrockit 3.0.3

Hi,

We have a web application that is using Jackrabbit. I try to use latest
Jrockit to make some performance test compared to the Sun one.

And I was surprise that where my pages at startup take 200 to 300 ms to
be delivered from tomcat under Sun jvm it took me 10s under JRockit.

So I make it run under Yourkit to have some information where we have
lost time.

It appears that I spend 90% of my time inside
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.WriterPreferenceReadWriteLock$ReaderLock.acquire()

I know this is a backport compatibility to allow usage of concurrent
package inside 1.4 JVM, but are you planning to migrate to 1.5 and
remove this compatibility backport API in the near future or not ?

I will also try to see with JRockit if they are aware of this issue.

Regards

Re: Performance issue with Oracle Jrockit 3.0.3

Posted by James Abley <ja...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/15 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Cédric Mailleux
> <ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know this is a backport compatibility to allow usage of concurrent package
>> inside 1.4 JVM, but are you planning to migrate to 1.5 and remove this
>> compatibility backport API in the near future or not ?
>
> Upgrading to Java 5 as the base platform (and most likely also to
> java.util.concurrent as the concurrency library) will be done in
> Jackrabbit 2.0 that's currently planned for release later this year.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

We have seen a similar performance degradation running for customers
running on JRockit, and encountered liveness failures as well, due to
the thrashing / stampeding try to acquire locks. So we advise our
customers not to use JRockit! (Doctor, it hurts when I do this, etc).
I can't recall if we raised a support ticket with Oracle - I think we
did and were advised to upgrade the version of JRockit, which had a
very minor improvement but didn't fix the issue.

Cheers,

James

Re: Performance issue with Oracle Jrockit 3.0.3

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,