Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/15 12:59:30 UTC

JEE application client

Hi I am trying to deploy a JEE application client as follows.

*application-client.xml

*<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<application-client xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
      http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/application-client_5.xsd"
    version="5">

      <ejb-ref>
         <ejb-ref-name>ejb/Converter</ejb-ref-name>
         <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
         <remote>examples.appclient.Converter</remote>
     </ejb-ref>

</application-client>

*geronimo-application-client.xml

*<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<application-client xmlns="
http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-client-2.0"
    xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
    xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">

      <sys:environment>
          <sys:moduleId>
              <sys:groupId>Converter</sys:groupId>
              <sys:artifactId>Converter-app-client</sys:artifactId>
              <sys:version>3.0</sys:version>
              <sys:type>jar</sys:type>
          </sys:moduleId>

          *<sys:dependencies>
            <sys:dependency>
             <sys:groupId>Converter</sys:groupId>
             <sys:artifactId>ConverterEAR</sys:artifactId>
             <sys:version>5.0</sys:version>
             <sys:type>car</sys:type>
             </sys:dependency>
         </sys:dependencies>*

     </sys:environment>

     <ejb-ref>
         <ejb-ref-name>ejb/Converter</ejb-ref-name>
         <ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
        <remote>examples.appclient.Converter</remote>
        <ejb-link>ConverterBean</ejb-link>
     </ejb-ref>

</application-client>

The above application client declares a dependency on *
Converter/ConverterEAR/5.0/car *where the *ConverterBean *is deployed. When
I package the above files along with the client file and deploy on the
Geronimo2.1 server, the server throws the following error.

Please note that I am deploying the JEE client separately from the main EAR
file.

C:\Geronimo-2.1\bin>deploy.bat --user system --password manager deploy *
C:\temp\ConverterEJBClient.jar*
Using GERONIMO_BASE:   C:\Geronimo-2.1
Using GERONIMO_HOME:   C:\Geronimo-2.1
Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var\temp
Using JRE_HOME:        C:\May-31-2007\jre
    Error: Unable to distribute ConverterEJBClient.jar: Cannot deploy
    the requested application module because no deployer is able to
    handle it.  This can happen if you have omitted the J2EE deployment
    descriptor, disabled a deployer module, or if, for example, you are
    trying to deploy an EJB module on a minimal Geronimo server that
    does not have EJB support installed.

(moduleFile=C:\Geronimo-2.1\var\temp\geronimo-deployer32414.tmpdir\ConverterEJBClient.jar)

May I know what I am missing here??

Thanks
Phani B Madgula

Re: JEE application client

Posted by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com>.
The JEE client application is running with the following
geronimo-application-client.xml in place.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<application-client xmlns="
http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-client-2.0"
  xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2"
  xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
  xmlns:security="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0"
  xmlns:connector="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/connector-1.2">

 <sys:client-environment>
          <sys:moduleId>
              <sys:groupId>Converter</sys:groupId>
              <sys:artifactId>Converter-app-client</sys:artifactId>
              <sys:version>3.0</sys:version>
              <sys:type>jar</sys:type>
          </sys:moduleId>
*
        <!--
          <sys:dependencies>
            <sys:dependency>
             <sys:groupId>Converter</sys:groupId>
             <sys:artifactId>ConverterEAR</sys:artifactId>
             <sys:version>5.0</sys:version>
             <sys:type>car</sys:type>
             </sys:dependency>
         </sys:dependencies>
          -->*
</sys:client-environment>

  <sys:server-environment>
           <sys:moduleId>
              <sys:groupId>Converter</sys:groupId>
              <sys:artifactId>Converter-app-client-server</sys:artifactId>
              <sys:version>3.0</sys:version>
              <sys:type>jar</sys:type>
          </sys:moduleId>

*          <!--
           <sys:dependencies>
            <sys:dependency>
             <sys:groupId>Converter</sys:groupId>
             <sys:artifactId>ConverterEAR</sys:artifactId>
             <sys:version>5.0</sys:version>
             <sys:type>car</sys:type>
             </sys:dependency>
         </sys:dependencies>
           -->

*</sys:server-environment>

     <ejb-ref>
         <ref-name>ejb/Converter</ref-name>
         <naming:pattern>
         <naming:groupId>Converter</naming:groupId>
         <naming:artifactId>ConverterEAR</naming:artifactId>
         <naming:version>5.0</naming:version>
         <naming:module>ConverterEJB.jar</naming:module>
         <naming:name>ConverterBean</naming:name>
       </naming:pattern>
     </ejb-ref>

</application-client>

I have commented out the dependencies section where the dependency for EAR
file is declared in both client/server environments. Copied the interface
class into JEE client jar.

The desirable option should be to have JEE client module to be able to
access the classes in the EAR file through dependency.

Any comments??

Thanks for help.

Thanks
Phani B Madgula

Re: JEE application client

Posted by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: JEE application client

Posted by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: JEE application client

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 16, 2008, at 12:04 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2008, at 5:17 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:14 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think the ejb-link will work in this situation.  I think
>>> it worked in g 1.x and openejb 2.x but from some comments I think
>>> I remember from david blevins I think the ejb-links only work
>>> within an ear with g 2.x/openejb 3.x.
>>
>> They work, you just need to configure your ejb-ref with a name
>> pattern in your geronimo-application-client.xml plan.
>>
>>    <application-client xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-client-2.0
>> ">
>>      <ejb-ref>
>>        <ref-name>ejb/Converter</ref-name>
>>        <nam:pattern xmlns:nam="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2
>> ">
>>          <nam:artifactId>theIdOfYourEjbJar</nam:artifactId>
>>          <nam:name>TheConverterEjbName</nam:name>
>>        </nam:pattern>
>>      </ejb-ref>
>>    </application-client>
>
> Thanks for reminding me of the proper syntax here which as usual I
> forgot :-) , but I was saying that in earlier geronimo versions, if
> the ear is a (server-environment) parent of the standalone javaee
> app client, an ejb-link in the app-client dd (not even geronimo
> plan) will get resolved to the correct ejb in the ear, since
> searches for gbeans are conducted in the set of ancestors of the
> current module.  Does that work in openejb3?

Right, the "automatic" side of it is the part that doesn't work.  I
suppose that's exactly what you meant by ejb-link and I just read too
fast :)

Re: JEE application client

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JEE application client

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: JEE application client

Posted by Phani Madgula <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for comments. I will verify the jar file once again. Initially, I
started with including JEE client in the EAR itself and tried to deploy the
file. For some reason, I was not successful. In order to isolate the
problem, I segregated JEE client from the EAR and started deploying it
separately.

Let me try all the options again.

Thanks
Phani B Madgula

Re: JEE application client

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JEE application client

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Phani,

1) Check the structure of the jar file and make sure
application-client.xml and geronimo-application-client.xml are under
the META-INF directory.
2) Check your manifest file ends with a new line character.

Jarek