Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Christian Alan Mattmann <ma...@usc.edu> on 2015/10/07 15:52:21 UTC

Re: Team 18 : Similarity scoring: goldstandard.txt, stopwords.txt contents

Sujen can you provide an example on the existing Scoring
Similarity wiki page of what the gold standard file
should have in it and how it should be formatted.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
Email: mattmann@usc.edu
WWW: http://sunset.usc.edu/

Posted by Sujen Shah <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mithun,
The goldstandard.txt is a file against which the parsed text of an html
page coming from nutch will be checked. There is no particular format for
that file, just plain text.

For example: If you were to score pages which were more similar to a topic
relating to Robotics, you would want your goldstandard.txt to contain words
like Autonomous, Artificial Intelligence, Robots, etc (Or even paste the
entire wikipedia article on Robotics).

Hence, you could basically just put all the relevant terms in your
goldstandard. But remember pasting a lot of things in the goldstandard
could introduce noise.

The stopwords.txt file is used to filter the irrelevant words in the
vocabulary like and, the, then, etc. You could search online for a list of
common stop words. You could even introduce your own.

I hope the above explanation helps you to get started, I will update the
wiki with an example soon.

Best,
Sujen

Regards,