Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Fairhead <st...@fivetrees.com> on 2006/08/29 12:40:09 UTC

Timestamps / keeping last-modified dates

Warning: experienced developer, but svn n00b. (Who has searched the
archives, seen plenty of dancing around re this issue, but no solution.)

Simple version: is there now/yet a way of preserving the original file
timestamps (not commit time, not checkout time, but last edit/changed time)
when committing a bunch of changes?

Longer version: for all sorts of good reasons, the last-modified timestamp
of a file is an important piece of information that is being lost, it seems.
I've read the rationale behind the commit-time thang, but I happen to not
agree with it - or at least, it seems to me that such arguable behaviour
should be configurable. Personally, I need that last-edited/built time. It
matters to me. Consider me old-fashioned.

Blunt version: if svn can't preserve timestamps, it's doing less for me than
a fileserver and the bunch of tar/zip/whatever files I have now. Sadly, it's
of no use to me - yet. I shall have to resume my lonely [1], forlorn search
for the One True VCS...

Ok. I'm missing something obvious, right? I must be; this is fairly
fundamental, and I don't believe svn can possibly be so b0rked in such a
basic way - it's glorious in so many other ways.

Cluestick invited. (And makefiles aren't it - one could argue just as hard
for timestamps to be preserved *because* of makefiles.)

(Environments: OpenBSD mostly, but Tortoise on Windows XP workstations too.)

[1] Well, perhaps not that lonely. Seems this is a common problem/request.

Steve
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: Timestamps / keeping last-modified dates

Posted by Andrew Webb <an...@gmail.com>.
> Sadly, it's
> of no use to me - yet. I shall have to resume my lonely [1], forlorn search
> for the One True VCS...

SVN is at 1.4 RC stage.  So 1.5 must be being planned.  If this issue
was sorted - i.e. presented as a user option - then truly I would
consider SVN the One System To Rule Them All.  I agree that this is a
very fundamental issue, and one that should be determined one way or
the other before other, more esoteric features are considered.

With AnkhSVN reaching full 1.0 release any day now, things are really
coming together for SVN on Windows.  It's a good time to adopt, so
long as we can get this last-mod issue sorted.

Andrew