Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/22 20:29:38 UTC

is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Hi,

Im using qmail,vpopmail,clamav,and SA 3.0.1 under RHEL4

We send newsletters frequently so I really understand that it will cost a
lot of cpu usage. I was thinking if I can setup the SA into a different
machine, not with the email server. So I can gain more cpu usage. when it
goes to 99 to 100 I can send and receive emails! can SA be setup like that?
SA will scan remote email servers?:-(

Re: is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> Hi,
>
> Im using qmail,vpopmail,clamav,and SA 3.0.1 under RHEL4
>
> We send newsletters frequently so I really understand
> that it will cost a lot of cpu usage. I was thinking if I
> can setup the SA into a different machine, not with the
> email server. So I can gain more cpu usage. when it goes
> to 99 to 100 I can send and receive emails! can SA be
> setup like that? SA will scan remote email servers?:-(

If you use spamc to invoke SA, you can tell a spamd server to it using -d option.

You can even have several spamd servers, as long as the server name assingned with -d option resolves to those several servers.

Re: is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Linooks wrote:
> I have it working!
>
> added the email address that sends newsletters in simcontrol
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> But I have another last problem.
> I get a spam with an email within my domain? lets say
> goo@mydomain.com <--- sends out spam messages to all
>
> Can someone please tell how to solve this one? thanks in advance!!!

Um, handle it like any other spam?

You didn't do something like this did you?
whitelist_from *@mydomain.com

If you did, don't. Spammers abuse that frequently.

Re: is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks! i will check..

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Linooks wrote:

> this is the full header:

> From: "Latonya Moran" <gr...@developmentex.com>
> To: groo@developmentex.com
> Subject: Best IWC repl1ca w4tches at Prest1ge Repl1cas
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:27:02 -0500

I don't see any SA headers in that at all. You might want to check
whatever feeds messages to SA and see whether it is passing messages
with your domain in the From header to SA in the first place.

  ...much of our country's counterterrorism security spending is not
  designed to protect us from the terrorists, but instead to protect
  our public officials from criticism when another attack occurs.
                                                    -- Bruce Schneier
 Tomorrow: The 1928th anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii

Re: is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
this is the full header:

From: "Latonya Moran" <gr...@developmentex.com>
To: groo@developmentex.com
Subject: Best IWC repl1ca w4tches at Prest1ge Repl1cas
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:27:02 -0500

As you see, it came from groo@myowndomain.com and that is developmentex

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
I had no whitelist option in my local.cf so I think that is not the cause.

Hmm,, I really wonder why.

thanks though!

Posted by Tom Ray <to...@detroitonline.com>.
I'm a little late stepping in on this and it seems the original email
was deleted from my mail box by mistake. As everyone has saids, yes you
can use spam assassin on a separate server. I do that right now and it
works pretty well. It's also pretty slick because I have it setup not
only to filter SPAM only for the domains I tell it but also only for
specific email accounts I tell it to.

In your primary zone file set up two MX records for the domain. 10 goes
to the spam server, 2o goes straight to the mail machine.

On the server that is running spam assassin I have it setup with Exim
4.67, SA 3.2.2, ClamAV .091.2, Bind 9.3.3

* Create a user equal to the domain. So domain.com is user domaincom.
For me the user dir is /home/sa-users/domaincom

* In the home dir setup a directory for each account you want to run
along with a 0 byte file called "spamcheck" so you end up with something
like /home/sa-users/domaincom/tom/spamcheck

* I add all the domains I'm accepting mail for in /etc/exim/domains

* I add all the domains I'm filtering for in /etc/exim/sa-list

* I create a zone file in /var/named with the following two lines. In my
resolv.conf I have it looking at the local machine only.

                     IN      MX      10 mail.domainnamehere.com.
mail            IN      A       1.1.1.120

My exim.conf Router and Transport for SA looks like this:

Router:
# SpamAssassin
spamcheck_router:
  driver = accept
  no_verify
  check_local_user = false
  # When to scan a message :
  #   -   it isn't already flagged as spam
  #   -   it isn't already scanned
  condition = "${if and { {!def:h_X-Spam-Flag:} {!eq
{$received_protocol}{spam-scanned}}} {1}{0}}"
 require_files = /mail/${domain}/spamassassin/${local_part}/spamcheck
 transport = spamcheck

# Only send mail for our domains
lookuphost:
  driver = dnslookup
  domains = /etc/exim/domains
  transport = remote_smtp
  no_more

Transport:
spamcheck:
    driver = pipe
    command = /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
    use_bsmtp = true
    transport_filter = /usr/bin/spamc -u
${lookup{$domain}lsearch*{/etc/exim/sa-list}{$value}}
    home_directory = /tmp
    current_directory = /tmp
    # must use a privileged user to set $received_protocol on the way
back in!
    user = exim
    group = exim
    log_output = true
    return_fail_output = true
    return_path_add = false
    message_prefix =
    message_suffix =

Basically it accepts the mail for the domain, if it's supposed to check
it for SPAM it does, all mail is scanned for viruses. I automatically
drop anything with .vbs .scr or other types of attachments and then it
sends the mail onto my mail server or what ever other mail server I
specify for the domain in the local zone file. I have clients running in
house email servers but I scan for viruses and spam before delivering it
on to them. The other beauty is if the main mail server(s) go down, the
spam server will hold the message in queue until the server(s) are
responding again. I hold messages for 14 days before thawing and dumping
them.

Oh and finally, once SA scans  email once for the domain it puts the
user_prefs file in /home/sa-users/domaincom/.spamassassin

Hope this helps.

--
Tom Ray
Cheif Operations Officer

DSL * VoIP * Networking * Email * Hosting * Programming

http://www.detroitonline.com
Toll Free: 888-235-6817 x202
Outside US: 313-887-0805 x202
Fax: 313-887-8321

Re: is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
I have it working!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
So sir, I can just setup an updated verision of SA in a different server and
configure it to scan remote servers? can u please send a link how to that..
Im not that good yet..:working:

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
Cool!! i will try this one,, a very big thanks!! muah! I think this will
work!

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Linooks wrote:

> Thats also my problem, I did not set this email server..
>
> How would I do what you recommend?

First question: how is SA being called? Then we can offer advice.

  Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history,
  nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the
  United States is in now.                          -- Arnold Toynbee
 3 days until The 1928th anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii

Re: is it possible to setup SA in a different machine?

Posted by Linooks <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thats also my problem, I did not set this email server..

How would I do what you recommend?

Thanks,

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.