Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/12/16 02:11:24 UTC

Builds in limbo during voting cycle

Why is it that when we go through a voting cycle that builds are left
in limbo?

For example, to build server 1.2 at the moment, users need to also
know that they must build genesis 1.1 from its tag, openejb from its
tag, and then a handful of specs, from each of their respective
tags.  I don't even know which tag is actually needed for each of the
damn specs, so I have to go hunt down what version is actually being
used, then check out each tag one by one...

or I have to hack the pom to add the "staged" repos, which is equally
worse has to build as tag I have to change its source?!?!  and IMO
that is just unacceptable.

I would much rather check out everything that is needed from the tag
and build... though that brings me right back to this mess with per-
module versioned specs.  Its a nightmare to find the right tags,
check them out and build them.  The entire process would be
dramatically easier if there was on tag for the specs to be checked
out and built... and that is for manual or automated.

IMO these projects, and their branches should always be buildable, at
any time, with out making changes to sources... and we need to be
able to setup an automation process to help ensure that they always
remain buildable.  It should be possible to setup an automated build
for release branches/tags during the voting phase, and even more so,
it should be possible to setup the automated system to actually
handle cutting that release.

BUT... to get to that point with the tools which we have decided to
use, we need to adhere to a few restrictions which simplify the
entire matter... which I don't think that many of you have even
thought about.

maybe the community does not want stable builds?  maybe the community
does not want to have durable builds?  maybe the community does not
want to have an automated system to ensure build consistency?

maybe I am just wasting my time?

--jason

Re: Builds in limbo during voting cycle

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
No, I believe that there will always be a time when builds are in
limbo due to reliance on our projects artifacts being deployed to a
remote repository... when they have not made it there yet.

IMO, the only way to avoid this limbo is to always build components
from source, removing the remote repository from the equation.

This is also the only way to ensure that when working with SNAPSHOT
artifacts, that you always use a known set, and don't accidentally
get a new artifact midway through your build.

--jason

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.