Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Prashanth Venkatesan <pr...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/28 18:13:12 UTC

RE: JIRA #NIFI-5327 #PR 2820

Team,
 I committed code and created PR  yesterday
https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2820 . I missed to do checkstyle
validation. Now i edited those changes and merge my changes in separate
commit.  Now it is showing *6 commits*[
https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2820/commits] in PR dashboard in github.

I followed all the steps provided from* "Commit your changes"* section
till *"git
push"* section in this link [
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Contributor+Guide#ContributorGuide-HowtocontributetoApacheNiFi
]

Can anyone please tell me , did i make any mistake? If so, how to rectify
it?

--
*With regards,*
Prashanth V

Re: JIRA #NIFI-5327 #PR 2820

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
I’m not sure of the exact sequence of events that led to your situation, but in general, you want to do the following:

# One time
git clone git@github.com:<your_github_name>/nifi # Clones your fork of the NiFi repository
git remote add upstream git@github.com:apache/nifi # Makes sure that your repo has the upstream repo added
git remote -v # Lists the repositories; this should at least have yours as “origin” and apache/nifi as “upstream”

# Continuously
git fetch --all # Ensures remote branches are fetched
git checkout master # Gets you to the current master
git pull upstream master # Pulls the changes that have been committed to apache/nifi that may not be in your fork into your local working copy
git push origin master # Syncs your fork with the central repository changes you just pulled

# To make a branch (from an up-to-date master)
git checkout -b NIFI-1234 upstream/master # Checks out master as a new branch named NIFI-1234

# In that branch you make changes, commit, etc.
echo “This is a new code file” > File.java
git add File.java
git commit -m “NIFI-1234 Added File.java”
git log # Will show the log of activity, including your changes and the branch pointers (upstream/master, NIFI-1234, HEAD, etc.)

# To rebase your changes on master (avoid the “merge branch commits”)
git checkout master # Make sure you don’t have any unstaged/uncommitted changes before doing this
git pull upstream master # Pulls remote changes
git checkout NIFI-1234 # Switches back to your feature branch
git rebase master # Basically takes all the commits you made on this branch and replays them after jumping to the most recent remote change

# To open the PR
git push --set-upstream origin NIFI-1234 # Creates a tracked branch named NIFI-1234 on your GitHub repository with the commits you made on this branch
# Go to https://github.com/apache/nifi and you should see a yellow bar across the top prompting you to open a PR from this branch

This is the most prescriptive way; some of these steps can be combined or replaced by other git commands [1] but they are more complicated or obscure what’s actually happening. As you become more comfortable with git, you can implement your own workflow. Hope this helps.

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-pull <https://git-scm.com/docs/git-pull>

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com