Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/31 11:40:48 UTC

svn:externals and spaces

Hi!
[[
Makes target directory in svn:externals property definition to be URI encoded.

* subversion/libsvn_wc/props.c
  (svn_wc_parse_externals_description2): Decode target directory using
  svn_path_uri_decode().
]]

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: svn:externals and spaces

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> I see 3 ways how spaces in externals might have be implemented:
> 1) Encode as URI. My current solution. Breaks compatibility if user
> uses percent symbol in directory name ('%')
> 2) Use quotes above directory names. Breaks compatibility if system
> allows using quote symbol in directory name.
> 3) Escape space with backslash character '\'

Where is the documentation of the current format?  All I can find is in
svn-book.html#svn.advanced.externals where it says:

"its value is a multi-line table of subdirectories (relative to the versioned
directory on which the property is set) and fully qualified, absolute
Subversion repository URLs."

That is clearly imprecise and incomplete (not mentioning revision numbers).
I'd say we need a new section for special properties in the "Reference" section
of the book.

- Julian

Re: svn:externals and spaces

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 8/31/05, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> > Hi!
> > [[
> > Makes target directory in svn:externals property definition to be URI
> > encoded.
> >
> > * subversion/libsvn_wc/props.c
> >   (svn_wc_parse_externals_description2): Decode target directory using
> >   svn_path_uri_decode().
> > ]]
>
> Two major problems:
>
> 1) Compatibility. You can't just break it like that.
> 2) Very counter-intuitive for something which is definitely _not_ an URL to
> be URL-encoded.
Agreed.
I see 3 ways how spaces in externals might have be implemented:
1) Encode as URI. My current solution. Breaks compatibility if user
uses percent symbol in directory name ('%')
2) Use quotes above directory names. Breaks compatibility if system
allows using quote symbol in directory name.
3) Escape space with backslash character '\'

So, which way do you prefer?

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: svn:externals and spaces

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> Hi!
> [[
> Makes target directory in svn:externals property definition to be URI
> encoded.
>
> * subversion/libsvn_wc/props.c
>   (svn_wc_parse_externals_description2): Decode target directory using
>   svn_path_uri_decode().
> ]]

Two major problems:

1) Compatibility. You can't just break it like that.

2) Very counter-intuitive for something which is definitely _not_ an URL to
be URL-encoded.

Max.