Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by "BURN, James" <Ja...@oup.com> on 2015/07/07 11:30:55 UTC

Throttling message flow with ActiveMQ/Camel

Hi

We're using ServiceMix 4.1.1 to process/push messages from our cloud host to a local server. We are (occasionally) getting a large throughput requirement, so I'm looking to introduce some message flow throttling to avoid reaching the limits set by our firewall.

The messages are being sent from an ActiveMQ topic to the URL of an local ServiceMix VM. We don't want to discard any messages from the topic (I have <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit="-1"/> in ActiveMQ).

I see that Camel offers the http://camel.apache.org/throttler.html which seems to offer what I want, but on a route by route basis.

ActiveMQ's dispatchPolicy looks interesting as this would allow us to control cover all routes/topics.

However, http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html seems much more focused on memory usage, not limits by number of messages per second.

What do folks think about using Camel or ActiveMQ, or a mix of both?

Thoughts most welcome.

Thanks

James

Oxford University Press (UK) Disclaimer

This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended purpose only. OUP does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only and not of OUP. If this email has come to you in error, please delete it, along with any attachments. Please note that OUP may intercept incoming and outgoing email communications.