Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Tim Mullé <tm...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/03 22:32:41 UTC

Using Quick Search API in Standalone Swing Apps?

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Quick Search API in standalone Swing Apps?

We have a home grown IDE like interface (not using NB Platform) and we’d like to add a quick search feature ust like NetBeans has.

I took a look at the source code for the quick search module and it looks like it might be tied to the UI (TopComponents)
And rely on the XML file system for things like category name, keystroke, etc. I thought it used ServiceLoader but it directly reads the root virtual file system.

I didn’t see a way to provide those items externally since we don’t have the NB file system and our SearchProviders won’t be made via
The NetBeans wizards.

Just curious…

- Tim

Re: Using Quick Search API in Standalone Swing Apps?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
If the Quick Search API depends on TopComponents and Master File System
then you have two options:

a) Bundle the dependencies in your standalone app.
b) Do not bundle the dependencies in your standalone app: modify the
source code as you wish (following the Apache License) to replace the
dependencies.

If you show us the source code we may give you some further help.

Cheers,
Antonio